ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to limit all but a few applications to keep my kids focused on homework!

<< < (2/3) > >>

jazper:
Funny this thread comes up...I've actually had a brief conversation with mouser about doing a software review on Parental Control software.  I've been trying to find the "just right" application for over a month now and have tried out about 4 or 5 different applications.  I'm working on putting that review together.   I know this doesn't help you RIGHT now but just wanted to toss that out.

tinjaw:
...I've actually had a brief conversation with mouser about doing a software review on Parental Control software... ...I'm working on putting that review together...-jazper (January 09, 2008, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
* tinjaw points his wand of delegation in jazper's direction. :Wizard:

tide:
I have never used any of them but a kiosk package may be what you need. Here's a link to one: http://www.kiosklogix.com/software/nestoplite.html

My understanding is that you can provide access (with the lite version) to up to 20 local programs and limit internet access. There are lots of other programs out there with similar features. Does anyone have experience with this type of program? My only question would be how easy is it to turn off the kiosk to gain full access to the computer.

cthorpe:
There is a program called Temptation Blocker (http://www.webjillion.com/archives/2005/08/01/free-software-temptation-blocker/) that allows you to restrict certain programs from being easily run.  Unfortunately, any user can disable the block, but they must type in a long random string of characters to do so.  This might at least deter your kids from the easy distractions, but it won't do much if they really want to be off task.

C

cnbingham:
Temptation blocker might have potential, 'cept my kids can be pretty determined if I'm not in the room! :-)

Curtis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version