ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FeedDemon going free

<< < (4/6) > >>

muntealb:
Only one of them can monitor webpages, Newzie.

Lashiec:
Uh-oh, the number of choices have been reduced drastically ;D

nosh:
FeedDemon is good-looking and full of features, but it eats a lot of resources (CPU and RAM) especially when it checks feeds (CPU can climb to 100%).
-muntealb (January 14, 2008, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

muntealb, this is a known bug, it can be side-stepped by disabling HTTP 1.1 (from within Internet Explorer) - I don't know the exact side-effects you incur by doing this but I haven't felt any difference in my browsing after disabling it.   

MikeMcLoughlin:
Forgive me if everyone knows this, I didn't so thought it worth mentioning in case it helps someone with their decision.

I purchased FeedDemon (and therefore obtained a free NewsGator premium account) a short while ago because I liked the way the application looked, ran and presented its data. However, it wasn't until after this that I became aware of the most useful (to me) feature - that is synchronisation.

In a nutshell this is how it works (depending on various preferences but generally as it comes by default):
I have FeedDemon on 2 PCs - one at home - one at work.
If I subscribe to a feed at work it is automatically subscribed at home and vice-versa, same with unsubscribing.
If I launch FeedDemon at work and there are 100 items in a group, I read 50 of them then go home, the 50 I read at work do not show as new items, only the 50 unread.

This is so useful to me as I read my feeds at both places and, to my mind, it isn't that well publicised as a feature of the software. I know it is mentioned but it didn't really sink with me until after I made the purchase.

I would imagine for this to work you would need the premium NewsGator account which I suppose makes FeedDemon not really free if synchronisation is important.

Grorgy:
I bought it for the synchronisation, but the synchronisation of the read items just never worked, they didn't respond to email so i gave up on them, i still think its a good reader but not nearly as good as advertised.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version