ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone Else Have an Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Problem in the Winter?

<< < (2/5) > >>

J-Mac:
I have lots of static problems with my car (and have with all the different cars I have owned in the past) - the discharge strips you can dangle off the car don't seem to do anything for me so I presume it is me discharging rather than the car!

I also wear a lot of outdoor sports type clothing and find I get zapped nightly as I get ready for bed ... (not in a pleasant way I might add  :-[).

My cats also get shocks from me (which doesn't go down well but they forgive me pretty quickly for my quirky behaviour).

Don't know what the solution is - short of spending your life with bare feet on a floor that conducts to earth!
-Carol Haynes (January 08, 2008, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like you have a bit of this, Carol. Mine has always been extreme, though.  I can deal with it, but not the occasional frying of components!

Jim

J-Mac:
Ditto what app said. You should also look at what you wear on your feet while walking around the house. If you can wear something with pure rubber soles.
-tinjaw (January 08, 2008, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Rubber soles on carpet are deadly.  Lots of static generated with rubber soles.

As Carol recommended, I go barefoot inside sometimes, but it doesn't seem to help.  I have so many small to medium size ant-static pads in my house that it's kind of comical at times.

Jim

J-Mac:
I keep thinking that with technology exploding as it is, there will be something discovered to take care of this.  But it never seems to happen.   :o

Jim

Dell[a]:
J-mac, were you ever struck by lightening anytime in your life? hanging out with you must be an electricfying experience :P

tinjaw:
Plogs Anti-Static O.R. Shoes - Medimex Traditional Style Clogs
http://www.allheart.com/plogs1.html

100 Anti Static, Skid Shoe Covers Large Blue NR New - eBay (item 300180083257 end time Feb-04-08 16:07:54 PST)
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Anti-Static-Skid-Shoe-Covers-Large-Blue-NR-New_W0QQitemZ300180083257QQcmdZViewItem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version