ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

is someone stealing my bandwidth?

<< < (3/8) > >>

J-Mac:
A quick note:  I have read of folks who had their router wide open and others "overused" the bandwidth, causing the actual ISP customer to cancel their accounts because they were over-limit in bandwidth.  Look at the DSLReports forum and you'll see users moaning about Comcast (my ISP) cancelling them without even a warning. Of course they were the over users in those cases.  But if a neighbor gets on your connection and starts downloading and uploading 24-7, even via torrents - your account is what will get canceled.  so make sure you are buttoned up!

Jim

jlogic77:
Is it 802.11g or 802.11b?  Are you broadcasting your SSID?  If you use g but someone else is using b, everyone will have to suffer at b speeds.

Also try to change the channel of the broadcast.

J-Mac:
Is it 802.11g or 802.11b?  Are you broadcasting your SSID?  If you use g but someone else is using b, everyone will have to suffer at b speeds.

Also try to change the channel of the broadcast.
-jlogic77 (January 08, 2008, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually if anyone is stealing the bandwidth they won't see a noticeable difference in internet connection, except maybe for streaming video.  The speed increase (est at 5X) is for data transfer within the network.  Plus, G has a shorter range so at more than about 100 feet the signal degrades to about the same as B.

Jim

iphigenie:
I can't use WEP/WPA because I am using multiple access points with bridging, and the bridging in the brand I have dont seem to work with a key. :S

It's still the most robust set of kit I have had, and I used 2 different brands before that one.

But I can limit both wifi and network access by MAC which of course means that noone can use my bandwidth.
What they still could do, in the absence of WEP/WPA is snoop on the traffic, but that I don't worry too much about.

Carol Haynes:
It is pretty easy to spoof Mac addresses so it really isn't an effective security measure. OK it will stop the neighbours unless they are very determined but it won't stop people parked outside you home looking for unprotected WiFi.

I haven't played with bridging but what happens if you enable security with the same security protocol and code on each access point?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version