ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

source control systems: what's the best?

<< < (7/9) > >>

tinjaw:
If you want source control integrated with a bug tracker that is simple, Subversion and Trac are about as simple as it gets. There are plenty of commercial solutions that integrate source control with bug tracking but I haven't used any of them.

tinjaw:
Since we have mentioned Subversion and Visual Studio, I thought this crowd would be interested in this except from the openCollabNet newsletter.

openCollabNet Technical Newsletter - Volume 15, February 2008

AnkhSVN, the Visual Studio plugin for Subversion, is now on
openCollabNet. AnkhSVN allows you to perform common Subversion
operations from inside the Microsoft Visual Studio (MSVS) IDE, such as
viewing the status of your source code, updating your working copy, and
committing changes. You can even browse your repository and use your
favorite diff tool. CollabNet now partners with the AnkhSVN open source
development team to accelerate the development of the plugin and grow
the community. Our goal is to ensure that Subversion and CollabNet users
have access to a fully featured open source Subversion plugin for MSVS.-openCollabNet
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
AnkhSvn slows down Visual Studio launch time down majorly, even when opening projects not under source control :(. Also, I've had some stability issues with it, causing corrupt local repositories - pretty nasty.

It's a shame, because it's a pretty nice tool aside from those issues.

tinjaw:
I have recently gotten interested in using Bazaar and Subversion. Does anybody have any experience with this combo?

Shades:
My friend here likes and loves CVS, using WinCVS...but man, do I hate WinCVS!!!  >:( And SVN is not allowed, because it is not file-based  :(

Not that it does such a bad job, but it is too hard to find out which Branches/tags are in use. Normally it is only possible to open Eclipse and use its CVS browser to find out what is where!!

@vixay:
In the story above I mention Eclipse. Eclipse has a beautiful plugin for the JIRA bugtracker system. JIRA is not free, but once you start with that one (especially in Eclipse) the reporting/tracking/maintenance of bugs will be a whole lot easier. From memory I know that PostGres, Oracle, MS-SQL and MySQL databases can be used. If you don't want or care to use the Eclipse setup, it's web interface is also very, very workable.

(and no, I'm just a happy user...not affiliated or related in any kind of way)

More info about JIRA: http://www.atlassian.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version