ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What kind of tagging system would be appropriate for DC?

<< < (23/32) > >>

cranioscopical:
That would have been like us changing our posting style to gri's because he insisted upon it.
-Josh (January 13, 2008, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reason why if to be "me, me, gri" grivitagniks knick-knaks not?

:o

Josh:
Hush you monkey! I am the spaceman
             and I say my >Toogriks<
 are the right way!

</Gri Talking>

mouser:
I'm sorry, but it ticks me off when the community goes out of it's way to try and accomodate somebody, but all we get back is a "sorry, that's just not good for me, I'm leaving".
--- End quote ---

I think it is a mistake in life to expect every kindness to be repaid in full in each interaction.  Better that you show kindness and respect to those you encounter, and let karma take care of the rest.  How does doing so harm you?

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -- Plato

Darwin:
I've been avoiding this thread, too... well, posting in it anyway! I'm not sure that I would characterize CodeTrucker as stating that the suggestions made in this and the other big thread on the subject aren't good enough. To the contrary, he seems quite satisfied with the suggestions that have been made. What's been getting in the way, and has driven him away it seems to me, are the personal attacks, chastising him for his sensitivity to the use of profanity in some posts and the subject matter of others.

ADDED IN EDIT: To clarify, the personal attacks have escalated as have CodeTrucker's responses to them (wherein he has more forcefully stated his position and feelings about profanity and sexual content on the site). It's a vicious cycle. However, he has not - to my reading of his posts - argued for out and out censorship of the board. He's simply requested that people voluntarily tag their posts if the content might be offensive and that such a tagging system be discussed and implemented. I don't really see this as heavy handed or self-righteous. I hasten to add, I also doubt that CodeTrucker is alone in his feelings. Look at the way it's been received and the tone of some of the responses? I am sure that with a membership of over 100,000, DC must be home to a good number of like minded individuals who have chosen to remain silent.

So, my reading of the situation is that the "accomodations" suggested were generally well received, but that the on-going personal attacks are what have driven him away.

Just my reading of the situation.

mouser:
In fairness, i think a good part of the problem is that codetrucker seems to be in a very very small minority of readers here who think there is anything to be even remotely concerned about regarding the content on this forum.

However, that doesn't mean people shouldn't be more understanding of the concern.. it doesn't cost anything to try to be understanding.  Doesn't mean you have to agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version