ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What kind of tagging system would be appropriate for DC?

<< < (13/32) > >>

KenR:
Oh TinJaw,
Your just writing to hear yourself click now. :)
Ken

Interestingly, all of the things I see being posted here as to what the tagging system is for and how it might work are VERY different than the individual discussions I have had with mouser about the topic.-KenR (January 11, 2008, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

All good programmers know the maxim that users never use the software in the manner the developer planned for.  ;)
-tinjaw (January 11, 2008, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

nosh:
Interestingly, all of the things I see being posted here as to what the tagging system is for and how it might work are VERY different than the individual discussions I have had with mouser about the topic.

--- End quote ---

Sounds a bit exaggerated, Ken. Mouser did show some interest in a tag system and he mentioned tag clouds, etc. I don't see how everything discussed here is so irrelevant unless he has substantially changed his stand.

As all of us seem to agree that in the end, we will defer to his judgement on the matter (for a variety of reasons), it might be informative to get some input from him on whether he is going to implement a tagging system, what it would be for, and how it would work.
--- End quote ---

He's already stated the general focus here. And though he hasn't exactly reached out for suggestions & will spearhead the issue I see no harm in bouncing a few ideas around. Sadly, the issue is being confused with the rather sensitive one of further censorship (which 99% of the respondents don't seem to give a fuck  :Thmbsup: about).

KenR:
Interestingly, all of the things I see being posted here as to what the tagging system is for and how it might work are VERY different than the individual discussions I have had with mouser about the topic.

--- End quote ---

Sounds a bit exaggerated, Ken. Mouser did show some interest in a tag system and he mentioned tag clouds, etc. I don't see how everything discussed here is so irrelevant unless he has substantially changed his stand. -nosh (January 11, 2008, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

How extraordinary, you have not been involved in the conversations, you have no idea what he said, yet you say I am exaggerating. I'll tell you something you don't seem to know, your ability to conceive of something is apparently unrelated to it happening. In fact, the discussions mouser and I have had about a potential tagging system have been exclusively about it being used to mark posts for inclusion in the blog, the newsletter, etc. (I don't know this is to be the only use, that's why I asked mouser to comment). If you scan the material in the above posts, I think you will find the material in them "VERY different". So, next time you decide to make a post suggest I'm exaggerating, (or just plain lying), you might want to have some actual relevant facts that suggest it's the case.

As all of us seem to agree that in the end, we will defer to his judgement on the matter (for a variety of reasons), it might be informative to get some input from him on whether he is going to implement a tagging system, what it would be for, and how it would work.
--- End quote ---

He's already stated the general focus here. And though he hasn't exactly reached out for suggestions & will spearhead the issue I see no harm in bouncing a few ideas around. Sadly, the issue is being confused with the rather sensitive one of further censorship (which 99% of the respondents don't seem to give a fuck  :Thmbsup: about).
--- End quote ---

Talk about it ALL you want. Create fantasies until your exhausted and bounce them up and down until you become vertiginous. Discuss how it will change the weather in your city or help you grow more facial hair. Me, I'd like some FACTS. I'd like to know what is actually going to happen. Only Mouser is going to decide whether there will be any tagging system implemented and, if any, what it will be. So, if he can tell us whether there is going to be a tagging system and knows what it will be (and I don't know that this is the case), then I want to know all the specific details that he is willing to disclose - not a "general focus"! Why are you so afraid of learning the truth about this issue? Are you more interested in ways it might be than THE WAY it's going to be? I would think that everyone would want to know everything they could about how things are going to be. Apparently though, that's just one of MY fantasies!

Ken

nosh:
Tch tch, touchy touchy!  ;D

You said all the things discussed here are VERY different from what you discussed with mouser. I said he's mentioned tag clouds in his previous post so they're not that different coz we were discussing ideas about how posts should be tagged, which anyone with even an intermediate knowledge of programming would know is a prerequisite for tag clouds.

I don't presume to know what you've been discussing with mouser so I did qualify my statement by saying "unless he's substantially changed his stand". So yeah Ken, your statement was quite an exaggeration.

And yes, we will talk about it as much as we want. I generally assume that's the point of these forums.   

I'll tell you something you don't seem to know, your ability to conceive of something is apparently unrelated to it happening.
--- End quote ---

Who said it would happen? Why would you assume that? It's just people discussing stuff, which is certainly more interesting/productive than getting into unnecessary flame wars.

tinjaw:
I think KenR is definitely a candidate for the largest tag in the cloud.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version