ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What kind of tagging system would be appropriate for DC?

<< < (12/32) > >>

Lashiec:
Those little checkboxes and the "Mark messages as read" button. Seriously.

In terms of filtering out what I don't want to read, select what I want to read the most, giving me quick access to all posts, and let me stop and continue the reading when I have to go somewhere and can't finish checking up everything, DC forum is as streamlined as it can be, IMO.

Carol Haynes:
For filtering out stuff the only thing I would like is an 'ignore thread' option which would simply hide a thread. Preferably I would like a list of the threads I have ignored (perhaps in my profile along side subscribed threads etc.) so that I can recover threads in the case of error or if I change my mind.

Seriously all this discussion about tags and filtering would get way too complicated and impossible to maintain unless you had mandatory tagging during post composition otherwise it would be purely random whether posts were tagged in any way at all and even if people bother to use the tags would they do it consistently.

Also if a new thread is marked with a particular tag which you choose to ignore who knows what you would miss - some of the most useful and entertaining contributions have been part of digressions from the original thread topic. OK we could split threads but who is actually going to do it - I can barely keep up reading threads (in fact I don't any longer otherwise it would pretty much become a full time job!) let alone take action on them and Mouser has even less time than me! There would also be a potential for a fair amount of disagreement with thread splitting (which would effectively become editing).

KenR:
Interestingly, all of the things I see being posted here as to what the tagging system is for and how it might work are VERY different than the individual discussions I have had with mouser about the topic.

As all of us seem to agree that in the end, we will defer to his judgement on the matter (for a variety of reasons), it might be informative to get some input from him on whether he is going to implement a tagging system, what it would be for, and how it would work.

Ken

tinjaw:
Interestingly, all of the things I see being posted here as to what the tagging system is for and how it might work are VERY different than the individual discussions I have had with mouser about the topic.-KenR (January 11, 2008, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

All good programmers know the maxim that users never use the software in the manner the developer planned for.  ;)

cranioscopical:
In my view no tagging/filtering system would be appropriate for DC unless there is a significant majority demand for one.
A more apt response could be avoidance of the site by those who are unhappy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version