ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What kind of tagging system would be appropriate for DC?

<< < (17/32) > >>

mouser:
Guys and gals, please try to keep this thread civil -- i see some people arguing with each other needlessly.  Everyone is making good points, there is no need to get personal.

At this stage, a variety of ideas about different features of a tagging system is welcome.

As has been noted, I have reasons that i think an internal tagging system would be useful, and have wanted to put in such a system for quite some time.  Mostly this would be a more general system to help in the creating the blog, newsletters, and year end reviews.  The blog system I wrote is a kind of specialized restricted tagging system, and i think a more robust tagging system would be useful.

Being able to tag threads/posts for content and let people browse the forum using a tag cloud or by content could be very useful if we could get help tagging things, either by authors, moderators, or readers.

In my opinion, the NSFW tag is the *least* compelling reason to implement a tag system, at least for our forum (for others it could be very useful), but having said that, if we go to the trouble of writing a tagging system, adding the NSFW would be trivial, and offering the general ability for people to filter out threads based on their tag would be useful.  Some people could filter out NSFW threads, others might filter out programming-specific threads.

So at this point we are in the stage of brainstorming, so feel free to let your ideas flow.  Do keep in mind as has been suggested by others that eventually we will have to balance the work required to code this with the benefits, and figure out if it is something (the tagging) that can be done fairly painlessly and without adding much to the workload in terms of every day tagging.

Veign:
Is DC safe for work?

I think the answer is clearly yes. 

There are no naked pictures on DC forum or site.  You might find the occasional curse word here and there, and you may find a discussion of some technological issue relating to sexuality, but nothing that you wouldn't read in any newspaper or magazine.  There are probably a handful of posts on the forum in three years that refer to some sexually themed site, and link to them -- in such cases the links should clearly be marked as NSFW.

I think that's where this forum has found it's comfort zone, and it seems to be a reasonable approach, and I don't think we should try to change that.
-mouser (January 11, 2008, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well put...

CodeTRUCKER:
[Note to the Reader - I removed a graph that I had hoped would have at least provoked more serious discussion, but only added more fuel for the ridicule.  I also removed it because as it could offend the very ones I am concerned about and I would find myself guilty of the same thing I am suggesting we consider tagging.]

Eóin:
There are lies, damn lies, then statistics. CodeTRUCKER, your graphs are absolutely meaningless presented as they are :mad: You HAVE to show an increase in these terms against an increase in other terms. All those graphs show is a general increase in activity here on the forums.

As a second point, we're not children here and not one of those terms is hurtful or offensive. Asking people to show a little restraint is fine but I am beginning to think you want to gag people from expressing themselves naturally.

[edit for a p.s] Besides fuck is a very versatile word :D

jgpaiva:
What i really really would like to see would be some statistics on the growth of number of posts per month. I'm almost sure that the "rate/probability" of these words would keep the same throughout all the monts.

To be fair, since i joined DC almost 2 years ago, i haven't noticed any change in tendency or probability of "swear words" on DC.

PS: i believe this was already discussed enough in the other thread, i only made this post because your statistics made me get curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version