ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What kind of tagging system would be appropriate for DC?

<< < (30/32) > >>

f0dder:
You notice that I put it in quotes... It filtered the forums here, but not at another forum that I visited that was worse... I think it might be because of the fact that the other forum had filters on people browsing anonymously.  Not sure...
-wraith808 (January 14, 2008, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I did notice your quotes :)

We ended up with a global enforced-on bad words filter for asmcommunity.net because of such filters, apparently it's utilized a lot for schools and libraries in the .us?

Grorgy:
Filters can cause all sorts of fun.  I was doing a course in natural resource management at one point, and as you can imagine, studying animals and so on, google searches for things like 'sexual reproduction in  mammals' were fairly common and quite legitimate, but they sure did make the alarms ring.   ;D

Gothi[c]:
Yeah, probably way too much bother to do backup restoration.
--- End quote ---
Not really, we already have an .sql file with all of his posts, all we'd have to do is to import it. not even 1 minute work ;) But as I understand it we're waiting out on that until the new forum mod is complete...

Carol Haynes:
Hm, wraith808's comment about "intelligent" filtering has made me think a bit... it's probably a good idea to implement a bad-word filter after all, and have it in effect for anonymous browsing of the forum - that way, web spiders won't index swear-words.-f0dder (January 14, 2008, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to be with an ISP that provided support via USENET - they installed a filter that rejected any post with expletives (the rejection note told you which words to remove so that the post could be published). For some people it seemed like a sensible idea - how long though before the group was again full of expletives?

I am not saying that this forum is full of expletives (it isn't) and it doesn't particularly bother me when people use them but I think any filter is a hiding to nothing. I think the simplest idea (if anyone actually wants it) is to have an optional filter that users can manually enable that simply prints all expletives when viewing posts with either a row of **** or an icon such as

If the filter is completely invisible to users unless they manually enable it there will be no incentive to try to get around it with stupid misspellings etc.

Here's another point of view:

Language has no intrinsic meaning and no intrinsic value. It depends on consensus ..... and it is constantly redefining itself. The prospect of freedom drew so many characters ..... They wanted a liberation from the restrictions of language just as they wanted a liberation from politics. There has to be a cleaning away - the purgation of meaning that profanity permits.
--- End quote ---

Anyone any guesses who wrote that  :D? Clue Answer

mouser:
I think the simplest idea (if anyone actually wants it) is to have an optional filter that users can manually enable that simply prints all expletives when viewing posts with either a row of **** or an icon such as
--- End quote ---

i like that idea.. but i'd like to suggest that the even simpler and better solution is to do this via a firefox plugin.
that way users can choose for themselves which words they dont like, and can have it applied to any site they visit, not just dc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version