ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008

<< < (4/15) > >>

tomos:
well, with version 482 it works okay as long as you embed fonts and select "Embed only used characters"
as said in post #9 I had some problems with obscure characters when fonts arent embedded

üüps, missed your last post

tomos:
Well... SoftMaker TextMaker (rev. 482) exported a 63kb, 4 page, Word Document to a pdf that is 134kb in size. This is with the "embed only embedable font"s setting applied and at Low (96dpi) quality with auto table of contents generated. I printed the same file from within SoftMaker to Scansoft PDF Creator at medium quality with embed fonts enabled and it produced a pdf of just 16kb in size (complete with TOC). So... the current SoftMaker revision is better than it was, but far from optimized.
-Darwin (January 15, 2008, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
you sure Scansoft is embedding those fonts :tellme: thats incredibly small, mind you I usually make PDFs with more than one font. The quality usually only effects graphics (I think)

[edit] I think the 134kb file size would be similar to OpenOffice/Nova PDF going by my test files here

tomos:
I also got an email from Softmaker
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BasicMaker manual as a PDF file
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You requested it, we complied... Now you can download the full
documentation for the BasicMaker macro language as a PDF file from
our web site - perfect for reading and printing.

Download:
http://www.softmaker.net/down/bm2008manual_en.pdf

Darwin:
Busted! You're right - the Scansoft option was to embed non-standard fonts. My document only contains Times New Roman. Switching to "embed all fonts" in Scansoft results in a 123kb file. I owe SoftMaker an apology  :o :-[

tomos:
Busted! You're right - the Scansoft option was to embed non-standard fonts. My document only contains Times New Roman. Switching to "embed all fonts" in Scansoft results in a 123kb file. I owe SoftMaker an apology  :o :-[
-Darwin (January 15, 2008, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
so Texttmaker make one almost half the size of Scansofts! - that's probably due to the "Embed only used characters" option

File without fonts embedded is readable except for the following

# it can handle é but not ´ *
# it cant handle ' a single apostrophe like would normally be used in Tom's or in some surnames e.g. O'Connor
# it cant handle euro symbol €-tomos (January 15, 2008, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
-
they dont seem too interested in resolving the above issues -
(they blamed Adobe - who probably dont help but werent the problem here)
it probably is safer to embed fonts but it's always nice to have options... :-\

* for some reason they normally use ´ (as in é without the e) instead of apostrophe here in Germany - I think because the apostrophe isnt natively used

[edit] added some emphasis!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version