ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008

<< < (14/15) > >>

Curt:
... I'm waiting impatiently for DataMaker to be released ...
-Darwin (June 05, 2008, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I remember reading about DataMaker some years ago, but it seems SoftMaker has given up on writing it. Maybe BasicMaker has substituted? SoftMaker will of course say NO! because they are still "developing" DataMaker:

SoftMaker is currently working on these applications:

DataMaker for Windows
DataMaker is the ideal end-user database: Open any database and create queries, forms, reports, labels, even small applications with ease. Just use it, no need to write code.

--- End quote ---
Please note: DataMaker is not shipping yet. The non-public alpha test is already running; the public beta test will start later.
--- End quote ---

We are blessed to know that it will be a fantastic program - I mean, several years in development?! Meanwhile, I now have this BasicMaker. Perhaps, one day in the future I may even find a job for it.

BasicMaker 2010 automates SoftMaker Office: it lets you write BASIC macros that complete recurring tasks in TextMaker and PlanMaker.

BasicMaker is compatible with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). It allows you to write small scripts or programs that execute commands in TextMaker and PlanMaker. If you have repetitive tasks in SoftMaker Office that you wish to automate, BasicMaker is the tool for you.

Syntaxwise, BasicMaker is modeled after Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and its OLE Automation object model is a subset of Microsoft Office's. If you already have experience in macro writing with Microsoft Office, you'll be up to speed with SoftMaker Office macros in no time at all.

Care for a small sample?

Print "Name of current document:"
Print tm.ActiveDocument.FullName

If this looks familiar to you, you are on your way to becoming a proficient macro developer for SoftMaker Office.

On the other hand, if this looks a bit baffling, that's not a problem either: A detailed electronic manual will introduce you to macro programming with BasicMaker.

Note: If you wish to create scripts for SoftMaker Office in other languages than BASIC, you can! TextMaker and PlanMaker can be scripted from nearly all programming languages, such as Python, Perl, Ruby, C++, and Delphi.
--- End quote ---

I am pleased with Office 2010, but if you don't need to have the newest I would say Office 2008 may be a better deal; it is for certain worth every penny...:

Download SoftMaker Office 2008 for free, and SoftMaker donates money!

Talk about donationware...

Softmaker Office 2008 is available for free, with the added bonus of the Softmaker company donating 10 Euro cents for each completed download! Great office suite and great deal!

http://www.loadandhelp.de/home-en.html

-TucknDar (December 14, 2009, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

rjbull:
I am pleased with Office 2010, but if you don't need to have the newest I would say Office 2008 may be a better deal; it is for certain worth every penny...:
-Curt (December 17, 2009, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt, please, what advantages does 2010 have over 2008 for you?

tomos:
-rjbull (December 17, 2009, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was curious too - site only says
The Top Five new features in SoftMaker Office 2010:

Support for the DOCX and XLSX file formats from Microsoft Office 2007   

Comes with 3 licenses for home and business use

Presentation-quality charts in PlanMaker

Breathtaking DirectX-based animations and slide transitions in SoftMaker Presentations   

Document tabs for easy switching between open documents
--- End quote ---

TucknDar:
for me tabs and docx support are major additions. There are also several small things that improves the product. I'll upgrade when they've got the educational pricing for 2010 going.

Curt:
-rjbull (December 17, 2009, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was curious too -
-tomos (December 17, 2009, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

- none, yet, for the very simple reason that I am trial-testing Microsoft Office 2010 at the moment. I only upgraded SoftMaker  to have it! I have only tried TextMaker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version