ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?

<< < (3/43) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
I'm back.

Profanity is in the mind of the beholder, so attempts to define what is or isn't okay to see on DC will fail.  Automatically.  It just doesn't work.  Either you define strict standards (which is a ludicrous exercise in and of itself) or you leave it up to the mods, who being mostly human, will each have their own internal pr0n compass settings.

So CodeTRUCKER, I must submit my humble findings: that the defendant is guilty and must hang by the neck until dead.

Whoops.  No, wait, that's not it. 

CodeTRUCKER in all seriousness, I get what you're saying.  There are things that would make me uncomfortable were they posted here, but I gather my tolerances are set wider than yours.  But I respect the fact that you find certain things objectionable, and thus would not knowingly email you an offensive link/image, or otherwise trick you into viewing something you consider unpleasant.  I also promise to use the NSFW tag frequently since I have a fucking foul mouth.

I think the only approach that covers everything is the voluntary marking of NSFW material, as mouser suggests.  That way the reader can make their own informed decision.   Anything beyond that (such as categories or banning certain words/ideas) will suck up all the oxygen from this wonderful place and turn it into  a clone of other forums, the ones ruled with an iron fist clutching a thesaurus. 

We really shouldn't expend too much effort moderating others' content, so... 

Here's an idea: Codify the NSFW tag.  Modify the forum software such that each thread and post has a NSFW checkbox, settable by the author.  Then each user's profile has a "View NSFW Content" checkbox.  Then the system automatically hides content for which the NSFW flag is set, and CodeTRUCKER never need to see the questionable stuff again.  I imagine a lot of folks would take advantage of this feature too, especially those who surf from restrictive workplaces.

It'd still be voluntary by the author to check the post's NSFW thingie on, but moderators could do it too if a disagreement breaks out and nobody can decide if "shniggles" is a naughty word or not.

Just an idea; if modding the forums will fracture the beryllium sphere or something, nevermind.

(BTW: +3 for jgpaiva's use of "anal")

mouser:
Here's an idea: Codify the NSFW tag.  Modify the forum software such that each thread and post has a NSFW checkbox, settable by the author.  Then each user's profile has a "View NSFW Content" checkbox.  Then the system automatically hides content for which the NSFW flag is set, and CodeTRUCKER never need to see the questionable stuff again.  I imagine a lot of folks would take advantage of this feature too, especially those who surf from restrictive workplaces.
--- End quote ---

This is a terrifically good idea..  I've been wanting to beef up support for a tag-like system on DC and we could use the same system to allow posts to be tagged as NSFW and then let users opt out of seeing such posts.

TucknDar:
Here is another one sort of close to home.  As close as the verbiage under your member name.  I hope you will not be offended.  You asked for a real example. 
-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2008, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ouch! Hehe, no I'm not offended. To clarify though, the line under my member name is just a little nod to Red Dwarf for any fans of British Sci-Fi humour.

Good for you that you've started this thread, by the way. Although we're probably on different worlds in many respects, I think the DC-community has proven to be a place where such things can be discussed without the name-calling and disrespect that other forums and communities are too often ruined by. :Thmbsup:

nosh:
I think the DC forum is about as disciplined as a place like it can get.
I am personally not in favor of introducing any additional censorship, especially in a place where people are by and large, responsible. That kind of moral-policing would just be stifling and would make me for one, resentful.

I understand that people can have very different perceptions about the same things so I do respect your opinion.

Darwin:
Difficult, very difficult. This is a thorny issue because, as others have pointed out, there's a fine line between censorship and an open community. I'd prefer the community to remain open and to continue to allow everyone to post what they feel and to express those feelings as they wish. I don't have anything much to offer at this point other than to bump the thread and hope that other people will post their opinions here. For myself, I am not really easily offfended but I do worry about other peoples' sensibilities, if that makes sense? That is, I do see content, and confess that I have posted some of it myself  :-[, that doesn't offend me personally but that I worry offend or cause discomfort in others.

Hope this makes sense.

Oh my! Five Six posts while I typed the above... this thread doesn't actually need my help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version