topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What sizes of screen do you guys have to use GridMove properly?  (Read 6795 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried a 20 inches plus monitor once and I returned to my 17 inch (or is this 19) because I couldn't handle working outside maximized mode but lately I've been looking for a grid over grid program but couldn't find any so I was wondering if this was the program that would allow me to do something like this by combining it with a text editor.

From this topic.

Is there a to do list/notetaker aimed at the “important but not urgent” “Important but urgent” “not important and not urgent” and “not important and urgent” system? I know that this can be done on paper but I’m looking for something like a grid over grid software.

Ex. You create 4 full squares with entries fitting each of these criteria on a specific category but then it zooms out and scales off and handles all your entries into another box.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What sizes of screen do you guys have to use GridMove properly?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:23 AM »
Well.. GridMove is most useful with larger screens (usually 20' or larger), but I use it on my laptop frequently (14' screen), and it's still useful.
The only thing you have to keep in ming is that using smaller screens will probably imply using another grid, since grids with a large number of "hotspots" don't really fit for smaller screens, since each hotspot is too smal..

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:42 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, how or why do you use GridMove on a 14' screen?

Windows management program have always eluded me even from the days of tinkering with Opera's cascade and grid formation views. I just find it too small and I'm also surprised that this program is good enough on a 20' because when I tried the monitor, it didn't even feel like it can handle anything more than two maximized windows so it seems very unlikely to me to be suitable for even that size but this could be a case of intention muddling my viewpoints because you might be just using it to arrange your smaller windowed programs and not trying to fit it with a browser or a notetaker and I'm thinking of opening several notepads inserted within each view to create a 4 x 4 grid lay-out on top of a 4 x 4 grid on top of a 4 x 4 grid.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:01 AM »
Well, I mostly use it to place Instant messaging windows on the 4 corners of the screen, and Windows Live messenger on the right of the screen. Notice that the screen has a resolution of 1280x800, the same as a 15.4' screen.
When I connect the external 20' monitor, I often use gridmove to place stuff on the laptop's screen, on the 4 corners, or in 3 columns and place stuff side by side on the 20'.
But I sure agree with you, GridMove's full usefulness can only be achieved with a really large screen :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think that's the key difference since I don't plan to use it for instant messengers.