topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ghacks post: "Why I decided to uninstall my Antivirus software"  (Read 31684 times)

Lusher

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ghacks post: "Why I decided to uninstall my Antivirus software"
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 06:14 AM »
Interesting debate.

Personally I think if you have no intention of running AV in the background, you might as well use either online scanners, or one of those local smaller "on demand" AV packages that do the same job.

There is very reason to install a full AV with "shield" /services and all that, when all you want to do is to run on demand scans. Seems to me that even with AV resident shield off, there is still a cost in terms of drivers loading at bootup etc..

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ghacks post: "Why I decided to uninstall my Antivirus software"
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 11:14 AM »
NOD32 monitors my net activity+email. The local file scanning I don't bother with coz nobody else uses this machine. I have to be alert when friends come over with pendrives. etc. I dropped active monitoring coz extracting/copying executables got painfully slow, especially if they were packed.

Edit: I just read Martin's post, I think he's leaving himself wide open if he runs files sent by friends without scanning.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:20 AM by nosh »