ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Songbird

<< < (4/4)

Lashiec:
Well, the 0.7 version was released a few days ago, and just like it happened with Firefox, it's starting to be usable. The interface was cleaned up quite a bit, including the options screen, which feels a bit more less Firefox-y. Most of the show-stopping bugs present in past versions are gone, so you can actually use the program as a normal media jukebox, something that was impossible even in 0.6.

I also like the addons available, some are still very rough, but they offer most of the functionality present in the competition, and it's easy to set up them to show around the interface. Which, by the way, it's a cross between iTunes and musikCube. I mean, there's no "Stop" button ;D

Among the bad points, the integration with music services is buggy, some of the tags are not correctly mapped to the proper fields (and no multifield support at the moment), cover art is not present (whether it's embedded or lying around in a folder), and memory usage is HIGH. I guess that can't really be solved.

All in all, they really improved the software between 0.6 and 0.7, and it's starting to look like a competitor for those other jukeboxes. Perhaps it was hyped to hell a bit too soon that it should, but it's trying to live up to the expectations.

wreckedcarzz:
Yea, I downloaded Songbird 0.7 to both my desktop and laptop, and it is surprisingly nicely laid out and functional. And there has never been a Stop button ;)

I don't use the music services or bookmarks, just music library browsing and playback. It works with my keyboard's media keys, though - something iTunes always had issues with.

I never watch RAM or CPU usage, but it runs on my laptops aged 1.6GHz + 512DDR2 without slowing it to a crawl (my ObjectDock AND RocketDock (I run both at the same time) are not affected), so it can't be THAT bad.

If your into combining programs, and like to listen to music while browsing the WWW, Songbird is worth a shot now more than ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version