ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2008

Click2LogIt

<< < (3/5) > >>

CleverCat:
Brilliant - was just thinking I need to keep track of what I have done during the day - this is perfect!  :Thmbsup:

I agree with J-Mac about left click, type note though...  :)

tinjaw:
I have returned to this planet called Earth after a long journey. I shall attempt to get to this soon. It will make for a nice "break" from the chaos of my normal life.  ;)

tinjaw:
Ideas for expansion of this cool, simple concept:
   > New config dialogue in right-click menu: "Config" opens.  Writes to local .ini or .cfg (arbitrary extension type, who cares) when config menu closed (in case of system failure) & at shutdown. This local file config is for easy backup/portability.
-bcbigb (May 05, 2008, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Added issue #22: Add Configuration/.ini file

> Default left click: Opens tiny dialogue where you can enter as much text as you want. Enter key would close the dialogue and write it out to the file.
--- End quote ---

That part I understand. It is the next part I don't. Added issue #23.

This would also necessitate having a different format that would allow you to display the text indented without actually writing that to the text (in case it needed to be recopied/pasted later). Think about the typical IM log viewer, with each person's msg indented after their name --> html like pidgin's logs perhaps?
--- End quote ---

If somebody could enlighten me as to what Brandon was talking about here, I can add it to the issue.

> Config: Drop down menu -> Allows the choice of behavior for left-click (orig/my sugg/???)
--- End quote ---

OK. Another variation on the theme. Issue #24.

> Perhaps a hybrid approach, with single-line/.txt behavior or multi-line/.html behavior
--- End quote ---

Allow for HTML in log entry. Issue #25.

> Config: Option to define where to write log file to.
--- End quote ---

Already there.

Possibly include ability to use environment vars (http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm)
--- End quote ---

Good idea. Issue # 26

& ability to write to UNC path names (i.e. \\server1\c\logs\).
--- End quote ---

Also a good idea. Issue #27

Also enable single-log behavior or multi-log behavior (based on definable file name parameters, like %date% and %time% etc).
--- End quote ---

Brandon must have been hit in the face by the good idea fairy. :-) Issue #28.

> Config: Options to change icon clicking behavior by hotkey (i.e. ctrl-lclick or alt-lclick etc)
--- End quote ---

OK! Enough with the good ideas!!!! Issue #29.

K... that's it for now. I see this as a really neat idea that could grow to be massively adaptable to many different people if implemented in good, tight code (like FARR). And yeah, for me, the point of sweet usability starts with the second suggestion (default left-click change), so I was motivated to write to you by that and the rest just came as I wrote ;-). Good luck. I'll keep up with this and I hope it grows.

~Brandon
--- End quote ---

Those were a bunch of great suggestions. Thanks Brandon.

tinjaw:
another idea...
I record streamed music, and later save selections from the file to individual mp3 files. At the moment if I hear a track I like I stop what I'm doing and jot down the time into the recording, the musician/track title, then the end time.
I could well use Click2Logit to do this, but it would involve a bit of maths(time on clock-time recording started). If I could set Click2Logit to use an elapsed time, it would be perfect.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have need to note something according to elapsed time.
tony
-tsaint (May 05, 2008, 02:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a good idea. I can combine this with issue #29 to allow for one type of click to reset the clock, one to use elapsed time, and another to use wall clock time. Issue #30.

tinjaw:
Right-click and choose "Change Log Text", then just click "cancel" (as in, "nevermind").  Unfortunately the log text is removed.
-appyface (August 31, 2008, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Issue # 31. Thanks for spotting & reporting that.

Remember the last text so I can just click "OK" to use it again.
--- End quote ---

Added as issue #32 & linked to issue #23.

Also offer "Cancel" to abort creating a log entry (but don't lose the last text)
--- End quote ---

Added as issue #33 and also linked to issue #23.

Systray balloon when the log entry has been written
--- End quote ---

Ah Ha! I think I just found my test project for using Snarl. Issue # 34.

Manually clean up stored auto-complete entries no longer wanted
--- End quote ---

Added as issue #35 and linked to issue #24

My end goal is to create after-the-fact appointment blocks on my Outlook/exchange calendar.  My Outlook calendar serves as a record for my activities, it is a PITA to set up appointments directly on the calendar.  So I currently keep a spreadsheet of dates and text and already have a little macro that creates appointment import files in Outlook calendar import format (*.vcs). 
--- End quote ---

Would adding CSV as an optional format for the log help you with this?

Thank you for the great ideas!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version