ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2008

KeyCounter

<< < (5/6) > >>

skwire:
@Robby250:  Welcome to the site and thanks for the feedback.  Regarding the issues you mentioned:

* 1) I could have sworn I had that Key_Counts.lst.tmp issue fixed in the latest build but I'll take another look.
* 2 & 3) Due to the limitations of the Input command in AutoHotkey, I don't think there is much I can do about either of these issues.
You may have better luck with other key-counting applications.  One really well done one is TypOmeter.

Robby250:
2 & 3) Due to the limitations of the Input command in AutoHotkey, I don't think there is much I can do about either of these issues.
-skwire (August 09, 2011, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I thought that the keys under modifier presses could be done due to another thing you've mentioned yourself:
KeyCounter doesn't count "characters" such as 'a' or 'z' or 'я' or 'は' etc.  It counts presses of physical keys.
-skwire (July 30, 2011, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

But anyway, I'll try that other software, thanks for the link!

EDIT: That program works well, doesn't have any of the issues I've mentioned here. Thanks!

IainB:
I saw this thread in my Google reader, and recalled it just today when I happened across KeyCounter from Zhorn Software.
I'm not too interested in key counters for myself, but I thought I'd just drop the link here in case it might be of use to someone else reading this thread in the DC forum.

Robby250:
Hello again, after using the other software for a while, I have found some undesirable things with it aswell:

-Amount of each individual key isn't tracked in total, it resets when I close the software, it only keeps information of key presses in certain days and total;

-Now, the tracking of total key presses in total is something I want, but it is merged with the amount of mouse clicks as well, which I don't want;

-It has too many unnecessary options and trackers such as daily key presses, mouse clicks, words, etc.

I only want a simple tracker with the amount of keypresses for each individual key and total amount of keys, and this software seems perfect for the job.
I've noticed that the typometer doesn't track key presses, it tracks the release of a key, hence probably making it possible to ignore repeated keys. If you could find a way for your software to also track keys under modifiers, that's all I would need. The software would be ideal. I don't necessarily need it not to track repeated keys, since I could disable them, but that would be a bonus. What I need is the key-under-modifier tracker or however you name it.

skwire:
Are you familiar with AutoHotkey programming at all?  If so, here's a quick snippet I wrote that will do what you want for letters a-z and numbers 0-9.  Press F1 at anytime to see a simple message box showing your keystroke stats.  You could easily extend this to cover all keys, to save/load data, display data in a more elegant way, etc.

--- Code: Autohotkey ---myKeys := "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890" ; Iterate through myKeys variable and create a hotkey for each letter and number.Loop, Parse, myKeys{    Hotkey, ~*%A_LoopField% up, CountKeys, On} Return ; End of auto-execute section.  CountKeys:{    ; Get the third character from the left of the hotkey name.    StringMid, myKey, A_ThisHotkey, 3, 1        ; Increase character counter and total counter.    %myKey%_Count++    Total_Count++}Return F1::{    ; Null out report variable.    myReport := ""        ; Iterate over myKeys variable and build out report, key by key.    Loop, Parse, myKeys    {        myReport .= A_LoopField . ":`t" . %A_LoopField%_Count . "`n"    }        ; Display report with total at the bottom.    MsgBox, % myReport . "`nTotal:`t" . Total_Count}Return

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version