ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

What language is the best for a new programmer to start with?

<< < (2/11) > >>

tamasd:
If he wants to learn programming, I would start with Ruby coupled with an appropriate book like Learn to Program, Ruby by Example or Everyday scripting with Ruby, or with Python, both are easy, appropriate for beginners, and work with wxWidgets.

I'd leave C++, C# or Java for later, once he has grasped the basics. Starting with those also increases the chances of him to quit soon...Ruby and Python are more fun to code in, and good for creating solid programming habits too.

Armando:
Clearly, choosing a language to learn how to program (I'm interested too...) depends on what you want to do. But if one wants to learn the "basic transferable-transversal principles", learn good habits and still be able to write some simple and fun programs, what's the "best" choice? Here's what's been mentioned here :

- Ruby
- Python
- C#
- Delphi

And one book :

- "Learn to Program"

I know there's been other threads on this subject, but..

f0dder:
Hm, I think Ruby is still too young to promote this way. (And implementations are still semi-buggy and heavy).

Even Python is a relatively new-fangled language, but it has some years of baggage and has matured a lot. And it seems the standard libraries have also evolved a bit beyond very thin wrappers above the native API, which wasn't really all that portable.

Armando:
So, what would the expert coders here recommend? Any consensus?  :) C# ?

Deozaan:
I'd also be interested in hearing more about which books are recommended. Especially for C++.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version