ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Replace Windows Explorer [SOLUTION]

<< < (2/10) > >>

Darwin:
PS Ehtyar's link is a LOT more comprehensive than the example I just posted :Thmbsup: However, I'd be extremely leery about hacking a resource like explorer.exe. All I can say is backup, backup, backup your system with a disk image preferably, before you even THINK about trying it.

f0dder:
Ummm, you don't need to overwrite explorer.exe, you just need to change a per-user registry key. So no WFP.

Also, "replacing explorer" takes two parts: the shell ("desktop" if you want), and the directory/folder handler (the file-browser part of explorer). You can (and probably should :)) use separate applications for this. Problem with the directory/folder handling is that things like My Network Places and other folders are special, and not all explorer replacements handle them well.

Didn't know that explorer (the shell) gobbles up around 20megs of memory, and was about to say "yeah, but you need to check private bytes, not working set size". But surprise surprise, at least on this Vista laptop, it's ~33megs of private bytes, ~22megs private working set size. Think I might be going back to blackbox on my XP64 workstation.

Darwin:
Crap, f0dder! Explorer.exe on my XP Pro system fluctuates from a (seldom seen) low of 13MB of memory up to 100MB of memory. Currently, using 32MB memory and 58MB VM, so having a decent day here  ;D

f0dder:
Crap, f0dder! Explorer.exe on my XP Pro system fluctuates from a (seldom seen) low of 13MB of memory up to 100MB of memory. Currently, using 32MB memory and 58MB VM, so having a decent day here  ;D
-Darwin (December 29, 2007, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
100megs of private bytes? Holy pants.

Lashiec:
Blame shell extensions. Mine is running between 14 and 22 MB of private bytes :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version