ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

More on Super Flexible File Synchronizer; Updates Anyone?

<< < (4/8) > >>

Darwin:
Er... no - didn't know that! Thanks, that'll likely save me some grief. Will get to this later today, I hope.

superboyac:
Guys, keep in mind that any application with such an extensive feature set as SFFS will always have a tradeoff between an easy to use interface and power.  SFFS is pretty overwhelming at first, but it's not meant for the one-click user, it's pretty complex.

My complaint about the interface is that sometimes there are those little check-boxes that shouldn't really be check-boxes because they do more than just turn something on/off.  For example, to pick the directories to include in the backup, there's a checkbox for it, but if you click it from off to on, it will open up a browser window to select the directory, and if you click it from on to off, nothing fancy happens (which is fine).  Some of those aspects of the user interface should be cleaned up a little.  I seem to recall that there are some contradictory options you can run into, like with deleting things to recycle bin or to a folder, but it can get confusing because you can enable both at once (or at least it looks like you can, even though it will work the right way in the end).

Anyway, just a little housecleaning would be good.  I wonder how the new interface will be.

J-Mac:
Oh, the feature set is great; no argument from me there.  However the way it is presented - along with the extremely poor scheduling tools - really hurts the application in the long run.  Another thread on SFFS has posts from DC users here who refuse to use it because of the way it is implemented and presented.  And that's really a shame.  Shouldn't be that difficult!

Jim

Darwin:
Er... I've just updated from beta 4 build 5 to beta 4 build 10. GUI is a bit more "refined" in some intangible way... maybe I'm getting used to it. The little tweaks and functional updates are nice, I am finding v.4 much easier to use.

Jim - I've neither checked the scheduler on SFFS 4 nor taken Multiset Almeza for a test drive  :o I'll try to get to that today.

J-Mac:
Per Tobias, he claims to have done some redesign to the scheduler, but not that you would notice. Not quite sure what he means. From what you told me, it is still the internal scheduler where SFFS must stay running, plus you cannot do anything within SFFS unless you stop the scheduler. (Worst config I've ever seen for a scheduler in an application!!)

Or the "Extreme Sync" service. No comment on that.  But no use of the Windows Task Scheduler in this version. Doesn't sound like much changed at all, except some GUI changes which just have you use more views to accomplish the same things.

Please yell at me if I am misunderstanding it.

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version