ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use a light or a dark background in your editor for programming?

<< < (5/8) > >>

PPLandry:
Having studied human vision for a couple years (in another life), it is always best to have an environment with similar light levels. Otherwise, the eye has to set its adaptation level which takes 30sec to 2 min to fully adapt (i.e. entering in a cinema). The same when going from dark to light

A dark background has a light level much lower than the rest of one's environment (desk, window, paper (also white), etc), so in such situations, the human vision will be in constant adaptation between the dark screen and the rest of the environment. Not ideal at all.

I work with black text on white, partly for this reason.

Renegade:
I use black on a white background. :(

I definitely prefer black text on a white background, or at least something similar - very dark on very light!

I do think the dark backgrounds look really nice, but I just find that over a period of time - especially if I am working on something for hours on end - the light background with dark text is easier on my eyes.
-J-Mac (December 26, 2007, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder about this...

That said, for some reason, way back in my WordPerfect 5.1 days, their standard white text on a medium blue background was kind of easy on my eyes also.
-J-Mac (December 26, 2007, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I remember orange or green on black... ;)

Yeah. Monochrome was kind of blech!

Mostly because it is the default. Although I sometimes make is a slight shade of gray. However, I imagine using light on a dark background is better for your eyes and have often wanted to try it for an extended period of time to see if it is, but I never seem to get around to actually trying it.
-tinjaw (December 26, 2007, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. I want to get other color schemes, but I just can't be bothered. Too much *unproductive* "work" there.

Anyone have anything easy to switch VS colors?

f0dder:
Anyone have anything easy to switch VS colors?
-Renegade (January 12, 2008, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think I saw an extension/add-in/whateveryoucallit, but can't remember if it was specialized wrt. colors or if it was just a settings import/export thing... and I never found any pre-made color schemes anyway :/

johnk:
Black on white or white on black give me headaches.

Way back when I had far too little to do, I experimented with background colours, and found that a gentle lemony yellow got rid of my headaches, brought  harmony to my life, and increased the chances of world peace:

I'm now so used to this that I won't use a text editor if I can't vary the background colour.

f0dder:
Hm, that's a very slight change - I can hardly tell it from bright white. I used to use a slightly yellowish color myself as well, something still bright but softer than 3x255... just haven't gotten around to that the last X years :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version