ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How many of you use encryption?

<< < (10/16) > >>

housetier:
Impressive numbers, however I never lock the bathroom door, not even when I am at someone else's place.   :P

The implementation of an encryption scheme is its weakest point. DES was found to be not supersecure, so "they" invented 3DES, however it didn't bring thrice the security of DES, because the flaw was still in there. There are no absolutes, just time frames in which breaking an encryption is feasible.

Soon the old encryption schemes will be broken, and new ones will have to be found. Years ago, a numeric lock was enough for a safe. These days there are so complex magnetic-mechanic-electronic combinations, it's easier to scam people instead of stealing their money from the bank or their homes.

Encryption can be very secure, until some researcher finds a shortcut. I am confident, if you'll forgive the irony, we will see literally a breakthrough of popular encryption schemes in the next 5 years.

The only protection I have, and which you so well laid out, is the effort it takes to break the encryption. Everything is breakable, but some things take longer to break; that's all I'll get from using encryption. But that's enough for me. I used to put 2 locks on my bicycle: that wouldn't stop anybody who was after my bicycle, but it would very likely stop anybody who was after some bicycle.

Protecting my data won't stop anybody who really wants to get ahold of my data, but it might stop someone who just is after some data.

The only thing 100% certain in life is death  ;)

Nod5:
The truecrypt homepage now states:
"Next release 5.0 scheduled for:  February 4, 2008  "
So four days left until we have open-source WDE for windows!  :Thmbsup:

MrCrispy:
I can't wait for TC 5. I hope it has the ability to link mount my tc volumes as part of  NT's login process so that I can store my entire user profile (My Documents, Settings etc) in an encrypted container and have it be transparent to Windows.

BrokenNails:
I use SyncBackSE to partly synchronize my Home and Work PCs via a USB HDD. On the USB HDD, I use encryption. So if my USB HDD gets stolen or lost, file contents are protected.

Compression with Encryption is part of SyncBackSE. The only limitation is that only file contents is protected, not file names, which can be still read normally.

-ppass (December 25, 2007, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Almost the same setup here except I use a USB thumbdrive on my keyring with TrueCrypt providing the encryption rather than SyncBackSE. I keep my important work and home files sync'd (using SyncBackSE) with the thumbdrive (inside a TrueCrypt encrypted volume) so (a) I have a backup if the worst happens, and (b) I can access work files at home or vice versa if the need arises. And everything is secure if I ever happen to lose my keys!

Josh:
TrueCrypt 5.0 released:

February 5, 2008

New features:

* Ability to encrypt a system partition/drive (i.e. a partition/drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication (anyone who wants to gain access and use the system, read and write files, etc.,    needs to enter the correct password each time before the system starts). For more information, see the chapter System Encryption in the documentation.   (Windows Vista/XP/2003)
* Pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100%   (Windows)
* Mac OS X version
* Graphical user interface for the Linux version of TrueCrypt
* XTS mode of operation, which was designed by Phillip Rogaway in 2003 and which was recently approved as the IEEE 1619 standard for cryptographic protection of data on block-oriented storage devices. XTS is faster and more secure than LRW mode (for more information on XTS mode, see the section Modes of Operation in the documentation).
      Note: New volumes created by this version of TrueCrypt can be encrypted only in XTS mode. However, volumes created by previous versions of TrueCrypt can still be mounted using this version of TrueCrypt.

* SHA-512 hash algorithm (replacing SHA-1, which is no longer available when creating new volumes).
      Note: To re-encrypt the header of an existing volume with a header key derived using HMAC-SHA-512 (PRF), select 'Volumes' > 'Set Header Key Derivation Algorithm'.

Improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements:

* The Linux version of TrueCrypt has been redesigned so that it will no longer be affected by changes to the Linux kernel (kernel upgrades/updates).
* Many other minor improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements.  (Windows and Linux)     
      If you are using an older version of TrueCrypt, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to this version.
-What's New
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version