ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How many of you use encryption?

<< < (14/16) > >>

f0dder:
Ho humm, BitLocker... dunno enough about it to say anything. Does it work on the system partition? I don't feel too comfortable trusting my data to full-disk encryption unless I have sourcecode, or at least complete documentation of the on-disk format + algorithms used.

TPM chip support ho humm, if you have boot-time authentication it's going to be secure even without TPM.

Disk images will obviously have to be sector-by-sector (the smallest granularity you can read a harddisk at) with an encrypted partition, which is fine, imaging != backup anyway.

The strong point of TC's plausible deniability is that a given container can have two separate keys, each of which reveals different content. You can have an outer shell that contains slightly embarrassing data, and give up that key when under duress. The bad guy, looking at the outer shell, has no way to know that there is another inner shell with the really juicy stuff, still buried in the container. But to be really plausible you need to mfill the outer shell with something that they'll believe that you were really trying to hide.
-CWuestefeld (February 06, 2008, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
"They" will know that they didn't find what they were looking for. But they can't prove it :), although they can muse about only 1 megabyte of a 100gigabyte container was used.

CWuestefeld:
Warning: I just installed TrueCrypt 5 on a new computer. It was able to mount a volume from TC 4.3a, but it was unable to actually open the volume. I was getting weird error messages. After uninstalling v5 and putting v4.3 back, I can open my volume once again.

I suggest waiting for 5.1.

4wd:
Is there a truly portable encryption system that allows someone to access an encrypted file on any system via a usb drive?
-Josh (January 20, 2008, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, any portable archiver that supports encryption.  I use WinRAR to encrypt all my software keys but I can unencrypt using IZArc2Go, PeaZip or any other that supports encrypted RAR archives, (encrypted RARs are far more secure than encrypted ZIPs - it's been mentioned time and again that if you lose the password for an encrypted RAR in would be faster to create the original file than bruteforce the password).

Nod5:
After doing a disk repair through the SeaTools for DOS boot-CD ( http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools ) I've now gotten truecrypt 5.0 system encryption to work.  :Thmbsup:

I've experience no performance hit and have no other major drawbacks to report either. But I haven't yet tried any CPU-heavy activities like gaming.

The system encryption supports passwords only, not keyfiles. I hope they add some smart support for that in the next version so that the bootloader at startup autosearches for a file with a certain name on any connection usb device and then tries to use that as a keyfile.

f0dder:
I've experience no performance hit and have no other major drawbacks to report either. But I haven't yet tried any CPU-heavy activities like gaming.-Nod5 (February 09, 2008, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Shouldn't make much of a difference, games tend to pre-load most data, and not do much disk loading until you progress to a new level.

The system encryption supports passwords only, not keyfiles. I hope they add some smart support for that in the next version so that the bootloader at startup autosearches for a file with a certain name on any connection usb device and then tries to use that as a keyfile.-Nod5 (February 09, 2008, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Passphrases are secure enough for TrueCrypt - keyfiles wouldn't really bring any security advantage, and if not protected by a passphrase, it'd lower your security.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version