topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Company audited my computer. Found many "unauthorized" software. Lol.  (Read 15416 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have no problem with the policies.  What I have a problem is this:  I am hired to do a job.  I need certain tools that I know for a fact make my job more productive.  My management, who also manages IT, supports all my requests.  The IT, instead of responsibly considering my request, automatically give excuse after excuse why such little programs are a problem.  They spew a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo out there to confuse the higher ups.  but, fortunately, i probably know way more about this stuff than them, it's all BS.   Frankly, it's either a power-trip or laziness.  The point is that I need this software, and their job is to get it as long as it is approved by management and doesn't cause a specific problem.  Just because they don't want a little extra work (which there should be barely any if they cut the BS) doesn't mean you prevent the request from getting through.  bottom line is that I'm asking for it, it's your job to get it.  Don't give me a hard time about it, and if you plan to, you better have a good reason for it.

Someone asked for a package that did some kind of technical analysis a while back.  The IT guy gave some straight up bullshit that because the program was written using SQL or something like that, we need an actual several-thousand dollar SQL server license.  That's bullshit.  The only license we need is the one to buy the program, it doesn't matter what the author used to write the program.  So, get it, install it, and go away.  If we do in fact need a sql license or whatever, well, then get that as well, there's no shortage of money here.  The point is, the analysis needs to be done, it's your job to make it work on the computer.  Don't give me any nonsense about it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
...and you could probably do with the free SQL Express from Microsoft, anyway.
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are many possibilities why they might be responding the way they are
a. There might be no real process for procurement and that might need to be solved
b. Perhaps the manager's verbal ok isn't enough, and they have to go through a procurement process
c. They might be overloaded and not have time for each request
d. They might be lazy and don't want to do request
etc, etc

The point is, everyone is jumping on your IS team when there might be good reasons or might not- but IS is not the enemy in general, just people trying to do their job the best way they know how.  Perhaps if you could work with them and find out what might make them more open to using the product they might cooperate?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are many possibilities why they might be responding the way they are
a. There might be no real process for procurement and that might need to be solved
b. Perhaps the manager's verbal ok isn't enough, and they have to go through a procurement process
c. They might be overloaded and not have time for each request
d. They might be lazy and don't want to do request
etc, etc

The point is, everyone is jumping on your IS team when there might be good reasons or might not- but IS is not the enemy in general, just people trying to do their job the best way they know how.  Perhaps if you could work with them and find out what might make them more open to using the product they might cooperate?
Trust me, i know these guys very well.  The answer is d.  i won't get into it, but there's just no other possibility.