ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop hard drive... 5400 or 7200 ?

<< < (11/15) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks Vegas, that does help! Darwin begins scheming...

Armando:
Thanks for the info vegas!

Armando:
As I suggested before, I finally got the Hitachi Travelstar 7K2000 200GB ((HTS722020K9SA00)

Data transfer went without a hitch--  I think it took about 3 hours (didn't find any precise log info about the whole operation) with True Image to clone about 78 GB of data (the Hitachi was in an external enclosure and plugged via USB). Of course, when I finally put the Hitachi in my laptop, it just booted normally as if nothing ever happened... Well, almost.  :)

- Speed HAS improved, although not as much as I thought (especially for backups and indexing -- understandably since there many other factors involved here) : loading huge documents, databases, bringing the computer out of hibernation, etc. is faster. Maybe, what... 30% faster ?

- Temperature is about the same (maybe 1C more),

- A bit more noisy it seems (nothing to complain about though),

- And, mush more space.

I must say I'm happy overall.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I would also add that it depends on price... the jump between 5400 and 7200 can be daunting.  But if price is no issue, the 7200 will always be better.  I made the jump on mine because of gaming, and it made almost as much of a difference as my memory upgrade!

Darwin:
Oh... there you go again, tempting (tormenting) me! However, I am saved by the the fact that my notebook features a PATA interface, and the new 5400 rpm Samsungs and the latest generation Seagates, Toshiba and Hitachi 7200 rpm drives are all SATA only. Vegas, you note that you have a new Seagate 7200 rpm drive but that it is ATA100/PATA interface, correct? What model is it? Curiosity is killing me (or at least is going to seriously dent my bank account  :-[).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version