ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop hard drive... 5400 or 7200 ?

<< < (5/15) > >>

Armando:
Thank you very much Darwin, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

WATCH Canada Border Services Agency!!!!! They'll slap a $5 inspection fee onto your package and then PST and GST and possibly duty as well. I got my Donationcoder mug in the post and had to pay $18.16 in taxes and inspection fees to be able to take possession (NB it shipped with an invoice indicating the price as $99.99).
--- End quote ---

(Yes : I vaguely remember a book costing me 40$ instead of 20$, and taking 3 weeks to make it to my mailbox...  :D Somehow, everything I ordered through eBay never went through this lengthy and costly process...)

Edit : I just can't write...

Carol Haynes:
Thank you very much Darwin, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

WATCH Canada Border Services Agency!!!!! They'll slap a $5 inspection fee onto your package and then PST and GST and possibly duty as well. I got my Donationcoder mug in the post and had to pay $18.16 in taxes and inspection fees to be able to take possession (NB it shipped with an invoice indicating the price as $99.99).
--- End quote ---

(Yes : I vaguely remembered a book costing me 40$ instead of 20$, and taking 3 weeks to make it to my mailbox...  :D Somehow, everything I ordered through eBay never went through this lengthy and costly process...)
-Armando (December 28, 2007, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's also been my experience sending things to Canada to my parents in Ontario when I buy through an online dealer and get it sent direct. I have stopped doing it now and try to buy at Canadian online stores instead because I got so fed up with my mother being stung for inspection charges, import duty and any other random taxes that occur to them! Canadian import inspectors seem to be particularly vigilant IME and, unlike the UK, they don't seem to observe a minimum value before the clobber you.

Be aware that a lot of countries also have a range of tarrifs depending on what you are importing and in some countries they can be very high on electronics. Best to check before you order or you may find it was cheaper to buy it at a Canadian store (and probably quicker delivery).

Having said all that the UK inspection fee/import duty applies to items over £18 - and they charge £8 for the inspection alone (that is nearly $17 CAN) before they even begin on tax!

Armando:
Thanks Carol...
I guess I've been lucky in the past with eBay... i just hope that the 2 hard drive enclosures I ordered won't cost me an absurdly high amount of money.   :sick:

f0dder:
One thing is burst drive speed, that's usually what the drives are sold on, and that's utterly useless imho.

What's more interesting is sustained data speed (which you'll only really see when copying larger files), and seek speed. Seek speed is one of the most important features for day-to-day usage like application starting, file searching/indexing, defragmentation, handling small files (word documents/whatever) etc. Higher RPM should help increasing seek speed.

Darwin:
Armando - I eagerly await your report on the effect of upgrading to 7200 rpm! I realise that I'll have to wait until you actually buy and install the beast... but I'm curious as to whether or not you will see the performance gains you are looking for. I'm also interested in the hit on your battery and any perceptible increase in the operating temperature that you see. I'm leaning towards waiting now until I get a modern machine as the laptop I am on now has a slow CPU and a slow bus speed - they're the real bottleneck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version