ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop hard drive... 5400 or 7200 ?

<< < (3/15) > >>

Armando:
Many thanks everybody !

I just came back from work and found all these posts...  :)
So I also checked some reviews, etc. and, yes,  it seems that going for the seagate 7200 rpm would be a better choice (especially that I'm an impatient computer user...).

as I already suggested, I'll get this one : ST9160823ASG . The "G" ("gravity") indicates a special anti-shock sensor (only 5$ more!). This Seagate offers impressive performance and it comes with a good warranty (5 years). So... Off to the store. (please, don't disturb : I'll be transfering data tonight  ;) )

Darwin:
I'm so jealous - none of the stores near me have much in the way of notebook drives available, and nobody has 7200 rpm drives on the shelf. I have to order in from Vancouver... Ah, the life of a country bumpkin!

Armando:
Ah !  Well... They had it yesterday... But they're all gone.  :( I hate it when that happens. So, Darwin, let's weep together (until friday, or maybe the 28...)  It'll be fun though when I finally get it -- especially for 1) storing more cra...err... essential stuff, 2) and for backups, indexing, farr's search, etc. Woo hoo! maybe X1 will actually start to feel responsive.  ;)

Armando:
A friend just ordered a MacBook (I don't really understand why because all she does is web surf, email, iTunes and iPhoto but its up to her is she has money to burn) ... I was really shocked at the price they were charging for hard disc upgrades - and they were all 5400RPM.

To change from 120Gb to 160Gb (and the colour of you machine from white to black - but there are no other changes in spec I can see) they charge a whopping £120 (~$250) !

If you want to be flash and upgrade to a 250Gb drive then it will cost you £150 (~$310)

I was checking prices and you can get a new WD 250Gb 5400 drive (laptop profile) for £77 or less!!! How much are these drives actually costing Apple?

I was also shocked to see a 1Gb to 2Gb memory upgrade is £90 (~$190) ... WTF !!!

Anyway back to the question ...

I looked up laptop drives on www.dabs.com and they all seem to be 5400 RPM (except for one which was 4200RM) ... there must be a reason ???

-Carol Haynes (December 19, 2007, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Once you get into that bandwagon, certain things are just more expensive. eg : my girlfriend wanted to buy an mp3 player and basically had to buy a IPod Nano, even the SanDisk was cheaper and has more features -- mic., FM stereo...-- plus an easily replaceable battery (the IPod Nano battery thing — $$$ + userfriendliness —- is such a scam!!).

Of course, for hard drives, you can always buy it and change it yourself. Same thing applies for almost all components (but, lucky Apple, most -- not all, of course -- mac users will prefer to purchase stuff directly from Apple... Oh well).

It seems to me that most computer dealers (like Dell, for instance) overcharge for components and peripherals.

Stephen47:
if you want to order one these guys seem to have a good price:http://www.provantage.com/seagate-st9160823asg~ASEGH01V.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version