ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop hard drive... 5400 or 7200 ?

<< < (2/15) > >>

vegas:
7200 drive all the way, it definitely makes a difference.  Read the reviews out there on sites like NewEgg.com to get the most RELIABLE.

mouser:
Read the reviews out there on sites like NewEgg.com to get the most RELIABLE.
--- End quote ---

good advice.  :up:

f0dder:
Humm, I thought 5400 vs 7200 rpm in a laptop did make a difference wrt. heat and power consumption - if it doesn't, then indeed it's a no-brainer. There's probably some review out there somewhere which has something to say...

Darwin:
As I recall, opinions about the extent of the hit in terms of heat generation and battery consumption varied but overall the "tone" of reviews seemed to be that while both do go up, the degree is not significant compared to 5400 rpm drives (not nearly as dramatic as 4200 to 5400 rpm, apparently). As I am wed to XP for at least two more years, I'll probably upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive myself in the future and be in a position to "comment from authority" at that point  ;D

Carol Haynes:
A friend just ordered a MacBook (I don't really understand why because all she does is web surf, email, iTunes and iPhoto but its up to her is she has money to burn) ... I was really shocked at the price they were charging for hard disc upgrades - and they were all 5400RPM.

To change from 120Gb to 160Gb (and the colour of you machine from white to black - but there are no other changes in spec I can see) they charge a whopping £120 (~$250) !

If you want to be flash and upgrade to a 250Gb drive then it will cost you £150 (~$310)

I was checking prices and you can get a new WD 250Gb 5400 drive (laptop profile) for £77 or less!!! How much are these drives actually costing Apple?

I was also shocked to see a 1Gb to 2Gb memory upgrade is £90 (~$190) ... WTF !!!

Anyway back to the question ...

I looked up laptop drives on www.dabs.com and they all seem to be 5400 RPM (except for one which was 4200RM) ... there must be a reason ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version