ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: DFT to GEDCOM converter

<< < (4/5) > >>

ChalkTrauma:
why is the Found Families is less than the Families?
--- End quote ---

I noticed this also, every file seems to have a blank family which needs to be read so the index is correct, but it has no values. I don't completely understand why it is there..

agentsteal:
I think I found a problem... notes aren't working with any of my DFTs.

--edit: Actually a lot of stuff isn't converting... I don't think names are converting either.

ChalkTrauma:
Can you send me the problem DFT file?

agentsteal:
okay I just loaded a converted gedcom into Family Tree Maker and it worked, but it had thousands of errors, mostly these three:

Tag: DATE, subordinated to wrong item, line ignored.

Tag: DATE, invalid date: (±) 1786, line ignored.

Tag: CHIL, adding this individual as a child will exceed the maximum of 99 parents for an individual, parents are ignored.

ChalkTrauma:
Thanks to a gentle nudge from Mouser  :D I'm posting the link to where I have this app posted:

http://www.dreamcycle.net/dft2ged/

Here is a little info on what it does:

DFT2GED is a simple command line utility that takes a dft database and converts it back to GEDCOM format. It will read both DTA files as well as the zip file archives the DftCom2 compiler creates. The DFT files do not contain the original GEDCOM information. Like many other compilers, data is lost in the process. The DftCom2 compiler only supports a limited set of GEDCOM tags and ignores the rest, it also combines some date and place information, making it very hard to programmatically parse apart. I have done my best to have the program do most of the work, but some hand editing of the GEDCOM output may be necessary.
--- End quote ---

If you find yourself in the situation where you have a bunch of DFT data and need to get it back in GEDCOM format, this little app may do the trick..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version