ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

houseforge recommendation December 2007: Protection

<< < (5/6) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
for instance, meet in person and exchange keys in a safe/secure environment.
-gjehle (December 17, 2007, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

"I like you, and you like me, so I think we should take the next step."

"Erm... really.  What's that exactly?"

"We exhange keys."

"Oh!  I know what that is.  We did it once in college.  Everyone sits around on the floor with a big bowl in the middle, and we all place our room keys in there, and people close their eyes and reach in there and randomly pick one out, and--"

"No!  No, I meant... encryption keys.  So we can, you know, encrypt our..."

"Oh.  So you don't want the key to my apartment?"

"Didn't say that."

Lashiec:
A little question about OTR. Though it works really good in MSN (turns out Adium packs OTR by default in the package), I am curious about the privacy scope in the IRC. Can it be used when talking in the public chat of the channel or does it only works when I am having a private IRC conversation, with, say, Ralf Maximus? (shameless plug for Ralf to join us at #donationcoder sometime. That, and being the last poster :P)

Armando:
Bad People, Good PeopleI wish it was more convenient to protect oneself.  [Etc. etc.]
-housetier (December 17, 2007, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good points, of course. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge housetier!
I'll have to think about how to protect my privacy a bit better. I encrypt all backups already, so that's one thing. I was also thinking of encrypting my whole laptop drive with truecrypt (many files are already encrypted with various programs, like axcrypt)... But it's stuff like what J-Mac described earlier that frightens me... Anyway, sorry about being a bit off-topic here.

gjehle:
A little question about OTR. Though it works really good in MSN (turns out Adium packs OTR by default in the package), I am curious about the privacy scope in the IRC. Can it be used when talking in the public chat of the channel or does it only works when I am having a private IRC conversation, with, say, Ralf Maximus? (shameless plug for Ralf to join us at #donationcoder sometime. That, and being the last poster :P)
-Lashiec (December 19, 2007, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK OTR only works for 2 parties. I'm not 100% sure, tho.

There is a similar problem with key-agreement using DH1080 for mircryption/fish.
The 'simple' solution is:
- generate a long and random password for the public channel and set it
- perform DH1080 key agreement with each party that wants to talk encrypted in the channel
- exchange the channel password of the so secured private 1on1 chat
- manually set received channel password

i was planning on incorporating code to automatically perform this rather simple task in mircryption/xchat but haven't found the time to do it yet.

housetier:
In another recent thead some of our dear users are talking about encrypting, and thus protecting, data on the harddisk. It seems a little bit windows-specific, so I can't recommend all their tools, but I think I should mention them.

It's your data and you should protect it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version