ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

houseforge recommendation December 2007: Protection

<< < (4/6) > >>

Lashiec:
If I posted the never ending discussions with one of them about my stubbornness in not installing anything labeled "Messenger" by Microsoft... they won't care that much about privacy, anyway.

I'll look into talking with my Adium-user friend for using OTR, thanks for the tip.

housetier:
i just want to point out some important details
-gjehle (December 17, 2007, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well FINALLY we get down to the beefy details! :)

for instance, meet in person and exchange keys in a safe/secure environment.
--- End quote ---

For GnuPG/PGP it should be enough to exchange the fingerprint, of the key, because said fingerprint (e.g. 0986 736D 468B 5D28 7C6A  811D D609 3240 38BA B1B4) is much shorter than a key

gjehle:
--- End quote ---

For GnuPG/PGP it should be enough to exchange the fingerprint, of the key, because said fingerprint (e.g. 0986 736D 468B 5D28 7C6A  811D D609 3240 38BA B1B4) is much shorter than a key
-housetier (December 17, 2007, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

of course, but only in person or over a secure channel ;-)
if you can mitm key exchange, you can mitm fingerprint exchange :D

Armando:
--- End quote ---

Not always convenient...  :(

housetier:
Bad People, Good People
I wish it was more convenient to protect oneself. Even more so I wish it wasn't necessary to do so... But there are bad people, who won't care whether or not you are a nice person. It's against those "bad people" that you have take inconvenient steps. Although not the whole internet is bad, it isn't completely good either.

Really Convenient?
The conveniences that are offered (hushmail, freenigma) take control from you, which might be even less convenient later.

False Sense of Security
And to say it again: taking the wrong steps can leave you with a false impression of security.

Secure Conferences
And for IRC-like conversations (group chats) consider using SILC. Even if you don't employ all the security measures mentioned above right away, if you started thinking about privacy and protection, it was worth writing so much about protection :) :)

Ask me more!
:tellme: Go ahead please and ask questions or voice your concerns! :tellme: PM me, or send email (here is my public GnuPG key), or ask right here in this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version