ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

houseforge recommendation December 2007: Protection

<< < (2/6) > >>

Armando:
Thanks for all these infos ! Very useful to me.  :up:

urlwolf:
I wonder if Opera M2 will ever implement PGP...

iphigenie:
Good encryption IS secure! However, the layman cannot tell if something uses good encryption; they will have to trust others. I can tell you that GnuPG and PGP are good. So good in fact, some countries view them as weapons.
-housetier (December 16, 2007, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with all those private/public key schemes is the reliable swapping of keys - if I have met you in person then it is easy for me to be sure that the key I receive is yours etc. but online it is a lot more murky.

You have a lot of people making a business of selling validated keys but I know they usually rely on their resellers to validate keys (and many just sell direct online, no validation), and it gets more and more remote after that - so you can only trust things so far...

Which I suspect is a business opportunity for banks as the intermediaries - my bank knows me and I know my bank, you know your bank and your bank knows you - and our banks can probably communicate securely...

Lashiec:
Hmmm, can we get Microsoft to use encryption in Windows Live Messenger? (That would be the only way to have encrypted communications with ALL my contacts in MSN).

IRC in the other hand... I could use OTR in Miranda for when we are chatting about taking over the world in the DC channel. When do we get encryption in the forum? ;D

housetier:
Which I suspect is a business opportunity for banks as the intermediaries - my bank knows me and I know my bank, you know your bank and your bank knows you - and our banks can probably communicate securely...
-iphigenie (December 17, 2007, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mark Shuttleworth became rich doing just that: ensuring a key belongs to the person he/she claims belongs to. Well he became rich after he sold the company... So there is money to be made. Like notaries used to validate a document, CAs (certificate authorities) now validate electronic "documents".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version