ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Way More Than Your Average Screen Capture Tool!

<< < (5/5)

Tinman57:
Wow - a lot of advice there, Tinman!

I do uninstall the drivers, but not nearly as extensive a removal as you direct.  Actually I have instructions from Falcon Northwest Support, which basically is not more than to uninstall the display drivers. (The Forceware uninstall dialog gives me the option to uninstall everything or to select individual parts to remove; Falcon wrote for me to only uninstall the display driver and nothing else. They're wrong?).

I do have a SoundBlaster card - the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi.  But I never uninstalled its drivers first.

Jim
-J-Mac (December 28, 2007, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

J-Mac, if the techies say it's OK, then it should be.  The newer ForceWare drivers have much improved, and I don't use the same drivers as you.  However, (and there's most always a however) I have had techies give me totally bogus information in the past and had to find fixes for myself.
  One problem I had with an older nVidia driver turned out to be my MicroSoft joystick I had plugged into one of my USB hubs, of all things.....

I've read many techie post about hardware drivers, and most all agree that the slate should be wiped clean before updating.  But with the newer PCI-Express technology this may not be the case anymore.  But if you think about it, it's a heck of a lot easier that reinstalling the whole OS again.  What can you lose, eh?  ;)

Tinman57:
J-Mac, something else to consider in your troubleshooting:

Microsoft Update Verify ClassID – VERCLSID.EXE

A Microsoft security update introduced a new file called verclsid.exe. Verclsid.exe is used to verify a COM object before it is instantiated by Windows Explorer. This file was created by Security Update KB908531 (MSO6-015). This update was intended to fix a vulnerability in Windows Explorer that could lead to remote code execution. More information can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908531/.

Microsoft documents problems caused by this update involving this file at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165. Main problems include difficulty accessing My Documents and other folders when "Share to web" is enabled, problems with Kerio Personal Firewall or nVidia graphics cards, and problems with some versions of Corel Paint Shop Pro.

If you have problems that are not resolved, you might consider uninstalling kb908531 via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version