ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Way More Than Your Average Screen Capture Tool!

<< < (4/5) > >>

J-Mac:
Worst part about any graphics card issue is that Nvidia won't deal with me at all, because I did not purchase the card directly from them, but it was installed in my custom-built rig by Falcon Northwest. Nvidia will only deal with the actual card purchaser.

Of course I am the one seeing all the issues, and with all the diagnostics. Falcon support - well, to be honest some are pretty sharp, and some are even dumber about the PC than I am! (But, hey!  I'm allowed to be dumb about my PC - they aren't!)

I didn't want another Dell or HP machine, and since I'm working with only one arm that functions fully I decided not to build one myself, but to get one built like I want it - and with "real" components - not the "made-to-our-specs stuff that Dell installs. And the PC has crashed since the day I received it and set it up! The HP Media Center PC I replaced with this one is still up and running across the table from me - my wife plays games on it - nothing else. But I use the drives on it for additional "safe" storage... It is definitely safer than storing it on my Mach V. (Two 500 GB SATA hard drives have failed on this one already.)

Jim

Tinman57:
J-Mac, I know this may sound obvious, and depending on if your using ForceWare drivers or another, you have to completely remove the old drivers before installing the updated drivers.  But first you have to change your graphics preference to a standard VGA driver.
  At one point I had to run one of the Detonator drivers removal programs I downloaded from their website to totally remove everything from the hard drive and registry before I could install the newest drivers, which was the ForceWare drivers.

ANY and ALL existing drivers should be uninstalled and COMPLETELY removed and the system rebooted prior to updating the drivers...Booting into safe mode and remove the drivers from here is the safest and most efficient way to remove the older and or current drivers from the system.

You also may have to  reinstall your monitor's specific driver...during the install of
the video card it may have been reverted to plug and play standard.

Bus speed settings between your card and BIOS and/or other settings may be different.

Your monitor refresh rate may be too low or too high

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard to download and install the latest MiniPort Drivers (if needed) - this one usually corrects a lot of issues.

If you have a USB mouse that can be moved to PS/2, try using the PS/2 port instead. It may fix the problem without having to perform any of the above solutions.

Only as a LAST resort try updating your system BIOS.

All else fails try using a past version of the drivers. The newer version may be causing a conflict within the system.

A Fresh install of Windows usually correct all issues...especially issues regarding older video drivers that cannot be removed from the registry. This is one of the BIGGEST causes for the
video card to fail. Make sure you back up ANY and ALL important files that are on your system to another storage device.

Some sound cards have to be removed (Sound Blaster Live for instance) from the motherboard and reinstalled after installing the graphics card.  Reason is that it consumes too much of the system resources and does not like to share them.

Even updating your sound card drivers could cure the problem.

With Winblows, there's just too many variables that can cause these type problems....

My old computer I built myself.  I inherited the present HP mochine then maxed it out, and once it's obsolete I'm ripping the gut's out of my old non-proprietary puter and building it with the latest fancies.  I may or may not be using Winblows when that happens.  Depends on where MicoSux goes with the new OS.  I won't touch Vista........   >:D

Yahya:
Hi.

After all the rave reviews, I just had to try it (SSC)!  (I'm looking for an easy way to capture artwork as it evolves, for later animation and tutorial creation.) 

So I downloaded, but could not install, the latest version.  :(  The Setup program tells me SSC is "not a valid Win32 app".  What gives, eh?  :tellme:

Yahya

J-Mac:
Wow - a lot of advice there, Tinman!

I do uninstall the drivers, but not nearly as extensive a removal as you direct.  Actually I have instructions from Falcon Northwest Support, which basically is not more than to uninstall the display drivers. (The Forceware uninstall dialog gives me the option to uninstall everything or to select individual parts to remove; Falcon wrote for me to only uninstall the display driver and nothing else. They're wrong?).

I do have a SoundBlaster card - the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi.  But I never uninstalled its drivers first.

As for reinstalling Windows, I was actually getting ready to try a repair installation of XP Pro.  I already downloaded SP2 and Autostreamer so I could slipstream it as XP Pro goes through the repair install. And I am copying all over to external drives and to the HP machine I have networked to this one.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim

mouser:
he Setup program tells me SSC is "not a valid Win32 app".  What gives, eh?
--- End quote ---

that error means your browser did not download the entire file.  try again.
i can't figure out why this is happening to some people.  is it a problem on our server?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version