ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shut Up About Vista, Already

<< < (9/9)

f0dder:
It was available even on win2k, just had to download a biggish file and install.

Edvard:
It was available even on win2k, just had to download a biggish file and install.
--- End quote ---
Indeed.
I found some more info here, and now I recall what all the fuss is about.
This is pretty much about the Interix interoperability thingummy that Microsoft came up with to lure old Unix hands into their clutches encourage Microsoft/Intel server adoption in environments traditionally Unix-centric, whilst attempting to stem the impending flood of Linux migrations.
Don't know much beyond that.

Edvard:
As long as this topic remains a dead horse, I'll throw in the last beating...
(from Worth1000)

mikiem:
At the risk of unintentionally offending someone (apologies as needed), perhaps a pragmatic approach?...

If you compare pricing on MACs vs. PCs with near identical hardware, for many (myself included) any discussion ends right there. Not being cheap as much as practical: if money was no object, I'd just pay somebody else to do it, making any claims of "ease of use" or efficiency etc irrelevant.

The same sort of approach acts as a bit of a reality check regarding Vista... My eldest grew up with PCs, and sees them purely as tools. I set up Vista on his new laptop, and after a few weeks he can't find or tell the difference compared to his desktop running XP Pro. While I certainly know the differences, along with all the pros and cons, to him and I suspect millions of daily users like him (who greatly outnumber enthusiasts) the whole discussion is totally irrelevant.
-----------------

RE: Shadow Copies... Not a lot of info out there, it is possible to manipulate the shadow files via scripting but otherwise not a lot of uses other than system restore. Unlike XP, Vista's System Restore actually does restore the hdd, and *most* of the registry -- for maximum safety use Erunt before creating the restore point. Shadow copy files are in a different format than anything else, so as soon as a non-vista OS looks at the drive, they're gone, as with multi-boot PCs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version