ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Random Reboot issues (was Anyone else having random reboots with Firefox)

<< < (7/12) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Not come across that error in my eventlog.

My shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" with other settings to the obvious values - but then I am no longer suffering the issues I originally posted about.

J-Mac:
OK. I just thought it sounded really weird for the PC to hard reboot after clicking on a shortcut, and that it might be something in the shortcut itself that was somehow corrupted.  That error is what I found for the last several days, in my Event Viewer - and I haven't been having any noticeable issues with Firefox recently.

Glad it's all sorted out!

Jim

john_doe123:
Hmmm, that sounds very very weird, a usermode program shouldn't be able to cause hard reboots like that. It must be a flaw somewhere in a device driver, although that sounds very weird as well... Which graphic card + driver version do you use, Carol and john_doe123? Firefox does allocate a fair amount of resources, so perhaps you have a graphics driver with a GDI resource bug or something? That'd be my best guess.-f0dder (December 15, 2007, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
I did what Carol said, backed up my profile, did a complete uninstall of FF with the "Your Uninstaller! 2008" program, and a reinstall of FF 2.0.0.11. Since then I haven't experienced the reboot problem again. I'm not sure if I should be happy that my Firefox is "healthy" again, or sad that I didn't manage to pinpoint the actual cause of the problem. But I think I'm going to go with happy for now.  ;)

I agree that a regular application shouldn't be able to make the OS crash, but the error message I got from Microsoft's troubleshooting page after rebooting mentioned a device driver problem (but unfortunately did not give any hint as to which one). As for graphics cards I have two, a Radeon 9800 Pro (ATI driver 6.14.10.6553) and an ancient "Matrox Graphics Millennium II PCI" card (Microsoft driver 5.1.2001.0), but which is currently disabled. The old Matrox card might be a possible troublemaker, but I've been running this setup without any hardware changes since early 2004, and experienced no previous problems.

J-Mac:
.... but I've been running this setup without any hardware changes since early 2004, and experienced no previous problems.
-john_doe123 (December 19, 2007, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately I have found that Microsoft Updates/patches often can make changes in your system that cause drivers that have been working fine to suddenly have major conflicts with the system changes.  I've been burned by this on more than one occasion!!

Jim

john_doe123:
Ok, now it happened again.  >:(

I had the "automatic reboot on system error" setting disabled, so this time I got the Blue Screen Of Death when opening Firefox. The error message read "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", which according to Google is usually related to memory/disk problems. So I'm starting to think that there might be some issues with my hardware... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version