ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"B_R_E_A_K___O_N_E_-_N_I_N_E_!"... Calling all Truckers!

<< < (2/4) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Thank you, Sire.  I, too, know you.  The infamous "Metallic Mandible."

lanux128:
For anyone that hasn't guessed it yet, Calvin used to be known as Farmsteader before his change of profession prompted a change of nickname on the forum.-mouser (December 11, 2007, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

ah! no wonder you sound so familiar, not to mention the large number of posts already under your belt for a new member. i should have clicked on the "posts" link.. anyway, welcome aboard, again.. Farmsteader i mean CodeTRUCKER. :)

Ralf Maximus:
Also, for the rest of you that have not driven a BIG TRUCK, you might wish to take this opportunity to have any questions you may have addressed.
-CodeTRUCKER (December 11, 2007, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it true truckers can drink 93 octane and urinate diesel, can strip down and reassemble their rigs blind-folded, and have the entire US road atlas memorized?

Actually, I'd like to hear some amusing/scary/interesting trucker anecdotes.  Of the "you wouldn't believe the things I've seen" variety.

Got any?

CWuestefeld:
I once drove a rig.

It was back in college, when I worked at the Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream factory (sometime when I'm not hijacking someone else's thread, I'll tell the story of the time I was buried knee-deep in pistachio ice cream). One of the jobs I held there was loading the outgoing trucks. We needed to get a now-full trailer out of the way to make room for the next one to fill. Which gets me to the time I drove an 18-wheeler.

The boss asked another worker to move the truck. I asked if I can come along. When we got to the truck, I asked the other guy if I could try moving it, and he said OK. He showed me how the shifter works, and off we went, clear over to the other side of the parking lot. I drove that truck a good hundred yards, but I don't think I ever got out of 1st gear, or turned the steering wheel at all.

BTW, what's the right terminology: rig, truck, 18-wheeler, etc.?

BigJim:
BTW, what's the right terminology: rig, truck, 18-wheeler, etc.?
--- End quote ---
They all work. Try to avoid the likes of "killer trucks" and such, though.
As for the hundred yards ... you gotta start somewhere!   ;)
("A trip of a thousand miles ..." and all that)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version