topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [feature request] %path%, network paths and autocomplete  (Read 4467 times)

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[feature request] %path%, network paths and autocomplete
« on: December 10, 2007, 02:21 AM »
1) %paths% currently aren't recognized by FARR as valid paths, same thing with network paths (though I guess you are aware to this). It would be great if I could actually use them as regular path in FARR, but even just opening them directly would be nice.

2) SlickRun has a rather limited auto-complete that remembers your history input but currently FARR has none. It would be nice if FARR could implement a nicer auto-complete. I was thinking that when you start to type, along the results in the bottom there is a similiar (but smaller) list box popping up with auto-complete options sorted by match\amount of use.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [feature request] %path%, network paths and autocomplete
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 11:50 AM »
could you explain #1 a little more? do you mean you want farr to resolve all %BLAH% where BLAH is an environment variable like MyDocuments, etc.?  Or something else?

and as for #2.. can i just clarify  something.. there are 2 issues here:
a) should FARR keep in history the complete search strings when you do things like launch aliases, etc, and show those in search results on partial match.
b) should farr use some kind of standard auto-complete box which is different from the way it displays results now.  im not sure how to do that without interfering with current results..

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 12:23 PM »
1) Exactly. For example you write: %appdata%\moz that should be exactly as writing "C:\Document and Settings\Application Data\User\ApplicationSettings\Moz". Same with network paths, writing "\\user1\moz" should take you to show all user1 public shares that contain "moz".

2) Let me draw a mock up of that.
Basically it is similar to results but instead of searching in results in searches in previous queries you submitted (stuff you wrote before you pressed ENTER).
In the picture the user wrote "d" and gets the following interface. He can navigate the results by going upward. When he selects a choice, it will set it as the current search query.

Screenshot - 25_12_2007 , 20_12_30.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 11:28 PM »
ok #1 i will put on my todo list, #2 i'm going to have to think about a little more..