ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is it time to move beyond Cygwin/X?

(1/2) > >>

tinjaw:
Cygwin/X hasn't been updated since January 2004. It looks to be dead. What are you folks using these days to connect to an X session from a WinXP box to a *nix box?

f0dder:
I've used starnet X-Win32 in the past, which worked pretty great... but anyway, does cygwin/X suit your need? If so, no need to stop using it just because of versionitis :)

housetier:
I use nomachine nx

tinjaw:
I have a very old version of StarNet XWin-32. I think it is version 4 or something close. I recently got an email that they are up to version 9 with all kinds of bells and whistles and a USB flash drive version. I would love to get it, but I can't justify the price for as little as I use X11.

As Cygwin/X is minimalist, I was curious to know if there is something that is freeware and has more features than Cygwin/X. I should also check out NoMachines NX. I have seen it around, but have not used it myself.

gjehle:
if you just want to use the box as if you were sitting in front of it
you can always use VNC

back when i was still using windows as my main operating system i also used xwin32 which did the job for the most part (some 4 years ago)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version