ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Publishes Detailed Vista SP1 Changelog

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eóin:
I for one am wondering if Server 2008 will be viable as a workstation. As I gather (from the above mentioned change log and elsewhere) that the core system kernels will be the same. I've toyed with the RC releases and very much like the feel of the OS, it seems snappier.

That said I've bought Vista x64 and don't want to just give up on it, I really hope though there will be some better VS for it. I love Aero and the glass effects, but everything else; buttons, toolbar, scrollbars, even context menus are so bad I find myself unable to use anything but the Windows classic style. Server 08 also suffers this problem, even just if XP style worked I'd be happy :(

P.S. hope this rant hasn't hijacked the thread.

Lashiec:
And the WGA now plays quite more nice than before, like it does with XP.

Ralf Maximus:
I for one am wondering if Server 2008 will be viable as a workstation.
-Eóin (December 09, 2007, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know at least one developer who uses Server2003 as his primary workstation.  Aside from some games not working (or installing) he's quite happy with it.

f0dder:
I for one am wondering if Server 2008 will be viable as a workstation.
-Eóin (December 09, 2007, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know at least one developer who uses Server2003 as his primary workstation.  Aside from some games not working (or installing) he's quite happy with it.
-Ralf Maximus (December 09, 2007, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you make him comment on any advantages over using regular XP?

Ralf Maximus:
I'll ask.  When I questioned him originally about his choice, he cited the fact that he's primarily a SQL Server developer and liked how stable his environment became after switching from XP.  I don't think he's the sort that runs a bazillion tray applications either (like many of the folks around here).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version