ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tell me why I have to be a PowerSlave?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Most of the computers that have failed on me did so during power-up.  It's been a rare experience that something went *poof* and quit working while I was using it.

So either the hardware's failing during shut-down (possible), has mysteriously failed while it's off (unlikely), or the stress of powering it on pushes an internal part beyond limit (probable).

And now I have jinxed every piece of equipment I own.  What's the Murphy's Law Cleansing Ritual again?

Renegade:
What? No Powerslave allusions yet?

I know what it's like though... My electricity bill is insane. But I'm still too stubborn to turn off my computers. I hate rebooting. :(

f0dder:
I know what it's like though... My electricity bill is insane. But I'm still too stubborn to turn off my computers. I hate rebooting. :(
-Renegade (December 15, 2007, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Standby helps. Obviously it's no good if I'm on IRC/whatever, but I've started using standby when I'm leaving the computer for some time period, after all it's only 3W more than turning it off... and waking up from standby is fast. When I'm away for a long period (like, sleeping, going to work, or anything longer), it's a full shutdown and flipping the power switch on the PSU.

It's actually been a lot less of a bother than I would have expected it to :)

f0dder:
A little update: I thought setting "Minimal Power Management" in control panel -> power options was enough to activate my CPU's power saving features, but apparently you still need the Processor Driver from AMD.

With that installed, the aforementioned power management profile selected, and Cool&Quiet enabled in the BIOS, my idle power consumption went from ~107W to ~97W. (Yes, the 107W is higher than the previous idle usage I reported, but I've added a second raptor drive and a second DVD burner). Not bad.

With the Amd Clock utility (also downloadable from the page above), you can even see the current speed of the cores... they're clocked down to 1000MHz on idle, instead of the full 2200MHz under load.

Lashiec:
f0dder, any instance of sound scratchiness while doing things in the computer and you have some music playing in the background? (in a audio player, of course ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version