ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tell me why I have to be a PowerSlave?

(1/4) > >>

f0dder:
Okay, so I just went out and bought a power meter thingy today. You know, one of those things that plugs into a wall socket, and lets you plug other things into them. It can display current Watt consumption, as well as measure Watt consumption over time, keeping track of min/max/average...

So, here's a few stats for your amusement.

Computer specs:

--- ---ASUS A8N SLI Premium
Antec Neo HE550EC PSU
4x512meg Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 memory (PC800 DDR2 RAM)
Socket 939 AMD64x2 4400+ (2.2GHz, rated 110W max)
GigaByte GV-NX76T256D-RH (passively cooled GF7600GT/256meg GDDR3)
Western Digital Raptor, 74gig, 10.000rpm SATA drive
LiteOn LH-20A1S-10C, 20x SATA DVD-RW burner
2x120mm casefans

Computer, turned off: ~6W (need to flip PSU switch to get 0W!)
Computer, standby: ~9W
Computer, on & idle: ~153W
Computer, 1 core maxed out: ~187W
Computer, 2 cores maxed out: ~203W
Locate32 indexing, ~3-7% CPU usage: ~160W

Furthermore, my WAG300N-EU combined ADSL2+ modem+router / 4 port 100mbit switch / wireless access point draws ~6.8W, and my 5-port NetGear GS105 gigabit switch draws around 6W.

I'll return later with stats on my TFT monitors :)

f0dder:
Btw: for my fileserver, I go from 77W to 63W on idle if I power down the two 400gig sata drives when not needed (keeping just the system disk spinning). That's around 7W per disk... Yeah, I know, spin-up and spin-down is a lot of wear and tear, so it's not something you should do several times per day.

justice:
actually according the the uk's http://carbon trust wear and tear is neglible and you should power down your pc whenever your not using it  :-\

f0dder:
justice: wear and tear on the components as a whole, probably, I doubt turning your box on/off a few times a day will make anything fry before you'd normally replace it anyway. But I'm still weary of the wear&tear by parking drive heads, the force of spinning up the platters, etc... all other components can be replaced, just some stupid $$$ you have to spend, but harddrives contain valuable data that can't be replaced.

Deozaan:
actually according the the uk's http://carbon trust wear and tear is neglible and you should power down your pc whenever your not using it  :-\
-justice (December 08, 2007, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just the name "Carbon Trust" is enough to make me discredit just about anything it says in the name of carbon emission reduction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version