ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DoMercury & QiiNinja - other Quicksilver/FARR type programs

<< < (2/5) > >>

nontroppo:
Hi odiernod, sorry to have sounded harsh, I do very much welcome the possibility to get something close to Quicksilver in functionality terms on Windows (and thanks for the portable version!). Will check out the new version and give people here an update - I suspect you'll need some time before there are usable skins though (the gree/yellow/brown one on display on your page is little better than the last one). Will you allow PNG/alpha transparency? If so I may take a stab at making a skin when you've published more details...

Visually, unless you've seen Quicksilver, you cannot appreciate how amazingly beautiful the UI is. Screenshots simply don't do it justice. The UI is animated in subtle ways, and is always just fluid (CPU is simply unmeasurable). Alcor did an amazing job making everything flow together. This elegance is functional, for example DOMercury shows the arguments pane always, whereas Quicksilver only shows it when needed. I've never seen anything on Windows that does anything similar.

odiernod, you may also want to have a look at FARR, as it has some wonderful features such as user-modifiable matching heuristics, powerful alias system, and extensive tweakability:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/index.html

nontroppo:
Hm, I tried to skin it, but it doesn't yet allow PNG transparency...

odiernod:
I'm working on that whole alpha channels thing.  It does allow transparency of completely transparent pixels though.  As far as the beauty between DOMercury and Quicksilver, its the difference between an app thats been out for a few months vs a few years.  I wanted to focus on functionality first and have just recently got into making the thing look nicer.  That and I understand its a little underdocumented at the moment.  But there is only so much time in the day  ;)

mouser:
Welcome to the site odiernod  :up:
I'm adding DOMercury to the list of these kinds of programs in the FARR help file.

Darwin:
Yes welcome, odiernod :Thmbsup: This software segment just keeps growing. I have a real soft spot for these sorts of applications and have yet to settle completely on one. At the moment, I'm not using any regularly (ie don't have any set to start with windows) though I have ActiveWords, FARR, DirectAccess and Dash Command installed. It's a weakness...

Anyway, will HAVE to give DOMercury a try now that you've posted about it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version