ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Max Alert = Max Ripoff

<< < (3/3)

Tinman57:
  I have (in the past) come across some registry cleaners that were more dangerous than anything, which is why I always make a backup BEFORE doing anything with the registry.  Now as much as I hate Symantec, their registry cleaner (2005) works pretty good.  But you really need more than one registry cleaner.  Like anti-virus software, one may not catch something another will.
  I also use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, and I've been very impressed with it so far.  It picks up a lot of stuff that Symantec's don't, plus it backs up/restores the registry.
  I've never had either one of these cleaners ask to remove a registry entry that was vital to the system.  I've had them show some things that would affect preferences/history of a few programs, but Eusing also gives you the option to add them to the ignore list and never list them again in the scan.

I'm very careful, even though I trust both these programs, I still check all the entries to make sure nothing important is listed.  I've also heard good things about JV16.  They have a nice suite, but I like to pick and choose apps, don't care for suites too much.   ;)

I filed a complaint with the FTC on Max Alert, the a__wipes....

I do a registry cleaning/system backup every Friday.  Something I learned years ago, the 3 golden rules for computers, they are  1.  Backup.  2. Backup.  3. Backup.
  It has saved my buns many times.....

I do know for a fact that a cluttered up registry will bog a computer down to a standstill, just like a fragmented hard drive will do.  I keep my puter running in top condition at all times, and it is faster than greased owl crap.  ;)

The last reg cleaner reviews I read (independent) put Registry Medic below a couple of others.  But that's subject to change every other month as new releases come out.  I never, ever read reviews from the company's web site until I've read independent reviews.  Some of these companies will have their own reviews plastered on a bunch of other web pages that was just an oversized ad, so you have to be careful about that too.  It pays to research, at least most of the time.  Max Alert pulled one over on me for the first and last time....

Another program I use is called RegCompact.net.  It removes all the unused spaces out of the registry, makes it much smaller and faster.  Good program, I use it every Friday like clockwork.   ;)

I'll bet Mouser could hack out a registry cleaner that would blow them all away...  ;)

Hmmm, perhaps some of this should go in the reviews/suggestions section.

doublewitt:
I also use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, and I've been very impressed with it so far.  It picks up a lot of stuff that Symantec's don't, plus it backs up/restores the registry. I've never had either one of these cleaners ask to remove a registry entry that was vital to the system.  I've had them show some things that would affect preferences/history of a few programs, but Eusing also gives you the option to add them to the ignore list and never list them again in the scan.-Tinman57 (December 09, 2007, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have used the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner also with very reliable service. There is also the free WISE Registry Cleaner that shows which items should be fixed and which should NOT be "fixed". You also have the option to undo a previous "fix". You can create an exclusion list as well. It can automatically create undo cleanups of data as well, and be programmed to run at startup and afterwards auto-exit after scan and show a log-report. You can pre-select to delete "safe" entries or "unsafe" entries and also use the backup/restore feature. www.wisecleaner.com

Anyways, both have done the job for me along with System Mechanic v6

Windows just doesn't take care of your registry. The registry is so vulnerable to dammages and alterations. Your system can literally come to a halt. It's a vital spot that needs attention on a regular basis. Anybody who has done so will tell you that it makes a world of a differance!

*Terms for purchasing software should always be easy to find and read. Actually, I think that buyers should be taken to the terms page just like when you install a software and you have to read the "terms of usage" before continuing with the installation procedure - so you are "forced" to read the purchasing rules [license] before the actual purchase is made, and so the purchase link is deactivated until the "terms" are reviewed and confirmed by the buyer/client. They could show a bold print with plain and clear language. There could also be an option to SEND a copy of the license to your email address or it can be done automatically. And so, why leave room for misunderstandings??? - unless you purposely want to mislead people...

Tinman57:
Yeah!  What doublewitt said!    :)

Darwin:
I ameliorate registry difficulties by using a 3rd party uninstaller (Your Uninstaller Pro 2008). While registry scans turn up over 1000 "errors" my computer doesn't feel "compromised" and I leave well enough alone.

Regarding what doublewitt said about license terms and agreements -  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
I use jv16 Powertools for registry cleaning. If nothing else for two good reasons:

1) Since they started charging for this software they did not charge me anything to upgrade for each major version until this year.  Their latest version, jv16 Powertools 2008, will cost me $6.95.  While it is not a lifetime license, it works for me!

2) Rather than clean the registry regularly, I only clean out specific entries when required to do so. Haven't you come across applications that, when having difficulties upgrading to a newer version, tell you to delete all registry entries associated with the previous version? I have, and doing that with the Regedit facility isn't easy when some aren't labeled clearly.

So I use it sparingly, and the cost for this one is, IMO, very reasonable.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version