ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: File note

<< < (4/15) > >>

Nod5:
Cuffy,
the system with .notes and .txt files for different purposes is a smart idea! When I have more time I'll try to mimic something like that in filenoter, by optionally letting it have a couple of different tags (and a couple of different corresponding context menu entries, again completely optional).

Armando:
Yes, it is an interesting idea.
The author of filenotes here http://geoland.org/2007/01/filenotes-windows-tagger/, (not the Moonsoftware app) says that
If you click on the notes file it should open up the associated file.

--- End quote ---
Cool. I wonder it the trick still works if files are renamed, moved, etc.

Cuffy:
The author of filenotes here http://geoland.org/2007/01/filenotes-windows-tagger/, (not the Moonsoftware app) says that

--- End quote ---

-Armando (December 12, 2007, 01:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

It really isn't much of a trick. A file named Amando.jpg would open with your graphics viewer.
When you use one of the filenoters the app adds an additional extension to that file NAME!! and opens a text editor associated with that extension.
The app you mentioned above would add notes so your new text file becomes Amando.jpg.notes and by default opens in Notepad. When saved and your files are displayed by name the two files are adjacent to each other in the folder.
Change the extension to Amando.jpg.txt and the files will still be adjacent in the folder but the file, in my case, will open in Metapad, which is my associated editor for txt files.
If you rename the file to Cuffy.jpg.txt it will still open with the associated text editor but the file is now displayed in the folder with the "C"s rather than with the "A"s and the purpose of writing the note has been defeated.
You'll suffer an even bigger defeat if you move the note file to a different folder (or drive?) unless you are using a different system for files.
One could easily move all notes files to one folder to be used as an index, etc. but in my case I want to include a note that Avast.exe was downloaded 12 Dec 07 and the serial number is xzzzxxxxxzzz#!. The folder displays
Avast.exe and immediately below Avast.exe.notes
Renaming either won't change the file contents nor it's Open with......... app but it will split the location from adjacent to afar??
Hopefully that answers your question? I'm quessing that you have an idea to use filenoter in a different manner than I do. Give it a shot!

Cuffy:
NOD,

In replying to Armando I mentioned that notes files could all be store in one folder and used as an index. In a previous discussion using different extensions for more flexibility came up.

Putting these ideas in one pot we could easily come up a notes extension that includes the date and time. Combined with a Send To feature to send the file to a Notes folder we have solved the track record thingee we discussed using an additional txt extension to a txt extension. With the date and time the track record is maintained by adding a note to a file and sending the note to the Notes folder. Displayed by name or by date in a folder gives you Avast.exe.note.1145Dec1207........... the date that I sometimes put in the note would file the note where it keeps our track record.

Methinks you'd better quit messing around making a living and get back here to code some of this stuff. If we get better organized it might help in fighting global warming. That could lead to a government grant or, based on the latest awards in the Global Warming field, maybe a Nobel Peace Prize.

A week ago you didn't know me. Today you are in line for a Nobel Peace prize........... and last I heard you were concerned because you had no snow??  Cheer up, things are going great and when we get it all together, BigJim is buying the Moosehead (hope you like ale?).<G>

Cuffy

Armando:

--- End quote ---

-Armando (December 12, 2007, 01:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

It really isn't much of a trick. A file named Amando.jpg would open with your graphics viewer.
When you use one of the filenoters the app adds an additional extension to that file NAME!! and opens a text editor associated with that extension.
-Cuffy (December 12, 2007, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oooh. I see. I misunderstood what the author wrote. I got the impression that clicking on the "notes" file would open the original (commented) file.

So it basically does the same thing as the "filenote" app from Moonsoftware (except for the "notes" extension + the icon) -- I like this new one ("file notes", with the the "notes" extension + the icon) better actually. The differentiation between a txt file and a note file is potentially very useful.

What would be neat is if any filename change would be automatically reflected in the " notes" file (ie : the "notes" name would be automatically adjusted accordingly) and if these were "glued" to the original files. They'd become real « tag sidecars »...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version