ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: File note

<< < (3/15) > >>

Cuffy:
NOD,

Your mention of using a NOTE tag prodded my memory and I went back and dug a file out of my rathole that I had downloaded previously when the Moonsoftware app, FileNote, wouldn't work on my new 64 bit OS. Unfortunately the new download wouldn't run either so I abandoned it as unfit for 64 bit service. The recent events re: Notes, tags, the error msg regarding the path, etc. prompted another look at the app.

http://geoland.org/2007/01/filenotes-windows-tagger/

This adds another ingredient to the stew!
The author has provided some very explicit instuctions on the installation and use of his product so I decided to give it another shot, all in the interest of science.

When installed correctly it worked fine! My problem is that it is installed on C:\ , which is why it didn't work the first time because I installed it in C:\Apps with all my other toys. My point here is that this version of filenotes adds Note instead of txt as the extension.

Now with your version of Filenoter and his version of Filenotes I have two options on the context menu.
I can add a txt file or a Note. He adds Note as an extension rather than as a tag as your procedure does so the filename doesn't include file.PDF--Note.txt, simply file.PDF.Notes and is associated with Notepad.

Getting to the crux of the matter...........and I know you're waiting with bated breath <g>!
Long ago I discovered Metapad and hence dropped Notepad as my text editor. 
Metapad will handle an unlimited file size and I have associated .txt extension to it.
Notepad is limited but it is associated to .notes extension by default through Filenotes.
So my plan, if acceptable, is to use File Notes to add a .notes extension where I only want to store a serial number, for example.
To store copious amounts of information about a particular file I would use Filenoter to add the .txt extension which opens with Metapad and it's unlimited file handling capability.
To find a stored serial number I would search *.notes which hopefully are present in limited numbers whereas if stored in a .txt file the search would turn up 100s of files.

You, with your tags, have yet another option for organization........... such flexibilty! Wow!

At the moment I'm feeling so damned clever I'm making myself sick! <G>
Feel free to use my plan if you like.

Happy Holidays,

Cuffy

BigJim:
FYI, Cuffy: I've been in contact with the fellow at Moonsoftware and he says that he's about to make available a whole set of updates on his applications (and perhaps some new ones). He invited me to check back at his site in a week or so.

Come on along!   :)

Cuffy:
BigJim,

Thanks for the info, I'll be along!
Moonsoftware put out several goods apps that I used for years and they were of the best species, Freeware.
I'm glad to hear that he/them is alive and well and still producing software for us idiots, hopefully, more that we can afford!
I was up in your neck of the woods about 56 years ago. Myself and a couple of chums took a tour up around the Gaspe'. Two things about the place I'll never forget.......... most of the birds in the world live up there and the women didn't shave their legs. We had a ball until the Moosehead ran out. Beautiful country

Happy Holidays,

Cuffy

Cuffy:
BigJim,

I hope I didn't offend you with my remark about the women in the great NE. I certainly didn't mean to offend but on reading the post this morning it seems a tad insensitive. My apologies, Sir!

BigJim:
Not an offense - even in the slightest, Cuffy!

They're alive and very well up here. As is the Moosehead. We've resupplied so drag yourself back up here!

And, ah!, the hairy legs. Wonderful ... once past the stubble stage, at least. Like velvet don't you know. We still have lots of birds of many kinds so git yourself back up for a visit!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version