ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: File note

<< < (2/15) > >>

BigJim:
Finally, I really hope that I will also be busy installing operating systems (or whatever we use in the future) when I'm 74 years old. Thmbsup
--- End quote ---

Indeed! Rock on Cuffy!! 8)

Cuffy:
I think we've got what I wanted. I cleaned all the junk from previous installs of several different apps from the registry and installed FileNoter. It works fine right out of the box (filenoter.exe). The registry entries for filenoter are as follows:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\FileNoter\command]
@="C:\\Apps\\filenoter\\filenoter.exe \"context_initiated_filenoter\" \"%L\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\*\shell\FileNoter]
@="FileNoter"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\*\shell\FileNoter\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\*\shell\FileNoter]
@="FileNoter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\*\shell\FileNoter\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\*\shell\FileNoter]
@="FileNoter"

As you can see there are entries for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. I think the Wow6432Node means Windows on windows but don't quote me.

The appended extensions:
I've played around using various file types and I think the appended extension will work fine. The main reason I use a file note is because I'm a downloading fool with a short memory. Some of the files from MS, for instance, have a cryptic file name that I can't remember long enough for the download window to close. I download everything to this 64 bit machine and the files downloaded are for several different OSs. The note helps prevent unzipping or trying to install to the wrong system. It's also a place to keep any serial numbers for any particular app.
The append feature appends the txt extension each time it's applied so if I use filenoter on myphoto.jpg.txt it adds another txt extension to make it myphoto.jpg.txt.txt, which might just be handy as a clue that some sort of action was applied to that file more than once. Damned clever, sir!
One question remains that I'd appreciate some clarification on. Your code in filenoter seems to make the desired entry in the registry to install filenoter if it's not already installed. If it's already installed then a double click on filenoter.exe will remove the entry from the registry. Is that correct? The .exe file becomes a toggle?
And lastly, are you going to try the trial version of XPPro 64? I ran out the trial and then purchased the 64 bit version.
It's probably my imagination but I think the 64 bit OS gives you a 10 to 15% speed bump over it's 32 bit brother.
I wouldn't even think of going back to a 32 bit system.
TIA

Nod5:
Cuffy,
Great that it's working.  :)
As you can see there are entries for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
--- End quote ---

Ok, when I google that I see that that is probably how Win XP 64bit always deals with compatible 32bit applications and the registry. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896459 So no problem I hope.

Yes, running filenoter.exe directly toggles the registry entries on/off and thus toggles the context menu entry. Just to be sure that things are working as they should, can you test it and say if all of the registry entries you listed are toggled on/off (created/removed) as they should, even the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\... ones?
The append feature appends the txt extension each time it's applied so if I use filenoter on myphoto.jpg.txt it adds another txt extension to make it myphoto.jpg.txt.txt, which might just be handy as a clue that some sort of action was applied to that file more than once.
--- End quote ---
Well it rather creates a new file "myphoto.jpg.txt.txt", right? The original "myphoto.jpg.txt" is still there. And I'm afraid that any notes you entered in "myphoto.jpg.txt" aren't carried over to ""myphoto.jpg.txt.txt" and so on. So it would often be more practical to create "myphoto.jpg.txt" and then later just double click that to open and edit it. I can see the use of creating a track record by adding new files each time so to say, though I must humbly admit that I didn't make that possibility intentionally.

It's interesting that you use textfiles in this way because I've myself done the same thing for some time, specifically by keeping reading notes related to .pdf files in .txt files with similar names. I've never used a script for it exactly like this before though. For my notes, I've so far used a special ending tag. So for example "aaa.pdf" could have notes in "aaa.pdf--NOTE.txt". Using a special tag makes it easy to later do searches on all and only the note files by including the tag in the search phrase. I've now added that as an optional feature for filenoter.exe . The latest version (attached in FileNoter_071208b.zip, MD5 72926293ddeb8a350f59423ee6ddf0d8) creates a .ini file the first time it is run through the context menu entry. Open that .ini and add a tag value if you want filenoter.exe to use such a tag. Though keep in mind that filenoter.exe won't recognize the old note files (without tags) after that. If you don't want it, use the old version (or use the new and ignore the .ini file since there's no other difference between the versions).

Yeah, I intend to test Win XP 64bit some day, I just haven't had time to yet. But some day...

Cuffy:
Tested per your request and everything works as planned. Having long subscribed to the idea that "if it works, don't fix it" it was with great trepidation that I double clicked on filenoter.exe hoping to remove all evidence of an app that I had just gotten installed and that was working fine. It worked the way you intended and removed all registry entries with a reboot. I again double clicked and it's back and again working fine. I must say, you do good work for such a young feller!

Openning a second note with a second, appended txt extension, would as you suggest only be necessary if you wanted to create a track record of some sort. What I was thinking of was ini or bat files that you were editing. Each additional extension would indicate a later version. YMMV

You mentioned using text notes for PDF files. For years I avoided PDF files because of Adobe Reader. I doubt that a bigger example of bloatware can be found......... not even Windows!
I've found a solution to the Adobe bloat and you might even be able to use a PDF file without notes???
Get a copy of the freeware reader from Foxit...........

http://downloads.foxitsoftware.com/foxitreader/FoxitReader22_setup.exe

and while you have your browser open get a copy of JKDefrag

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ .........

Using these two tools you'll save enough time to download XPPro 64 trial and give it a whirl. I'm a fan of Celeron D cpu's with the EM64T feature which runs a 64 bit OS just fine. I'm sure the AMD64 will do as well if you don't mind fighting the heat problem.

Thanks again my friend. All is well with the world here and I hope the same is true in Sweden.

Cuffy

Nod5:
Cuffy,
Tested per your request and everything works as planned.
--- End quote ---

Great!

Thanks for the links. I already use FoxitReader and completely agree with you on the bloatedness of Adobe Reader. I will check out the defrag app.

Glad to be of help. All is well in Sweden too, though we haven't had any snow yet around here which is disappointing. Hopefully that will change soon. See you around in the donationcoder forum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version