ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > GOE 2007 Challenge Downloads

Evaluweight - GOE Challenge 2007 Entry

(1/4) > >>

brett:
Having trouble justifying a decision,
Stop procrastinating and start using Evaluweight !

This started out as a little fun and bit of effort to scam mouser of one of the legendary Cody Mugs.
In the end it is a interesting insight into how we come to a conclusion.

Theory,

Each decision you make, is a 100 percent commitment. Therefore, that decision can be broken down into categories,
and each category represents a part of that 100 percent commitment.
So "evaluweight" lays this all out in a nice and easy grid format.
Simply give each category/feature a percentage mark of how it would impact your total commitment.
Now add the product that you want to compare, and in each category, mark that product out of 10 on how it meets your expectation.

Evaluweight will produce a score at the bottom of each row.

The screenshots will enlighten a little more.
ToDo
Chocolate
Printers
Vehicle

Some notes
- This is a very basic script designed to con mouser into giving me a Cody mug.
- This is a very basic script that could be improved
- This is a very basic script that provokes the mind
- It is a standalone script, no installer, portable. (AHK source provided)
- Saving is very basic, it saves to the same directory as the file.
- Data is saved in a small csv text file.
- Can be used in making or justifying any decision.

More on the thought process
After using this for a few projects I was surprised to find that Money is not the major influence in a purchasing decision. If the product does not do what I want, I really dont care how much it costs. So rarely was money more then 20% of the factor, mostly around 10 and sometimes less then 5.

Suggestions, Critics, Applause and Rock Throwing all accepted.

The files
A Zip with the four examples above
The AHK Source file

Brett

justice:
I think Evaluweight is a great idea, it reminds me of what My Life Organised does (weighted importance) but it would actually work a lot better because it factors in multiple interests!  It would be fantastic if you could think about adding this to a more traditional todolist application to decide what to do next, especially between many tasks. This takes the guesswork out of 'what to do next' so it's a great experiment. I'd just love to try it out in a 'many projects with their own subtasks' setting.

mouser:
brett, I *love* it!  :up: :up: :up: :up:

mouser:
Grett,

one issue with the left-hand importance column.
there is text saying it must sum to 100.. but it's not enforced.

the best solution is to not need it to sum to 100 (which maybe you already do), by simply "normalizing" the calculations by dividing by the sum.

app103:
I thought this was a fantastic idea when Brett first told me about it...

But what I saw was a great tool that could be used to assist members with writing software reviews for DC.  ;)

Now what would be really great, would be if this could produce a nice table in bbcode and/or html, to make it easy to insert it into a review.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version