ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If you build a new PC, make sure you get 2 HDs: One fast and one big

<< < (4/6) > >>

Armando:
What about C:\ on a Flash hard drive, and all the other things on one of these 1Tb 7200rpm...  ;)

f0dder:
Edit: One of the advantages of having your programs on another drive is that stuff like defrag can be run concurrently on the system and the programs partitions, really cutting down on overall time.  :Thmbsup:
-nosh (December 05, 2007, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
As long as it's another physical drive and not just a partition, yeah :)

What about C:\ on a Flash hard drive, and all the other things on one of these 1Tb 7200rpm...  ;)
-Armando (December 05, 2007, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
The first-generation flash drives are relatively slow :/, and the hybrid harddrives are very 'meh'.

Throughput of flash drives are a bit slower than traditional harddrives, but with the current new generation, it's "decent enough". It's obviously seek time that rocks++. But there's some write latency. I'm waiting for the new flash memory type (from IBM + friends, iirc) to be developed, supposed to be faster :)

Currently the neatest thing would be a DDR-RAM based solution with backup to flash, but... that's expensive.

Armando:
Yeah... I saw the figures.  :)
but the future looks bright (storagewise)... Can't wait to have 2 SSD in... *one laptop*...

Dirhael:
A tip for cheapskates like me: buy two HDDs, a small one for the SOs and the software and a big one (320 GB go out really cheap these days) for the rest of data. A Raptor might shave you a few seconds (with each passing generation of 7.200 rpms disks, the gap is narrowing), but you save more than 100 bucks in the process. Hmmm, I see f0dder mentioned it :)

Don't worry about the fans, even the most cheapo case in the market brings along a fan or two with it.

About the power consumption problems Ralf mentions: I suspect something or some other component was troubling your PSU, 10k discs don't suck so much power as you may expect, mostly because they have left things to move than, say, a 1 TB drive, which sucks down some watts more. Of course, another story is when we talk about spinning up the drives when the computer starts...
-Lashiec (December 05, 2007, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Having a 120mm fan in the front (80mm if you have to) AND back (120mm for sure) pushing the air through the case from front to back is actually a pretty big deal, makes a Huge difference. Don't underestimate a decent fan in those two spots with any system you build/use.  Even from bottom to top if you can find a case that at least has venting at the top.
-vegas (December 05, 2007, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually went with 2x250mm case fans in my system...and a HQ 120mm for the CPU, and the same size for the PSU. No need for another fan dedicated to my HDD's then ;)

f0dder:
I actually went with 2x250mm case fans in my system...and a HQ 120mm for the CPU, and the same size for the PSU. No need for another fan dedicated to my HDD's then ;)
-Dirhael (December 06, 2007, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just make sure the intake fan is located in front of the harddrives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version